Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me what this back pack is? Fur covered, hard frame. On one shoulder strap is stamped "VIKASPAR
BATTLERD
LEUTWIL"
all in an oval. A "3" is on the left side & a "9" is on the right side of the oval. Thanks alot.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,665 Posts
http://www.mvs.chalmers.se/~m95perm_2/utrustning/bilder.html

It does appear to be a Swedish army backpack from circa 1870-1890 era. I don't know the exact year of useage. Those double loops are for straps as in the above photos.

Your note is not OT in this forum. We deal not only in Swedish military firearms but Swedish militaria, of which this pack fits.

Dutchman

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I've had this for several years & have never known what it was. One person told me that the 3 & 9 by the oval meant it was from 1939.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,168 Posts
Actually, I think it's Swiss. The oval maker's mark and the last two numbers of the year accord with that type. If it is a Swiss example, these are more or less commonly known as 'monkey packs.'

Poot

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It sure looks like the "Swiss-style". Used probably in the 30s (1930s). The Swedish one called "ränsel" with fur was, as Dutchman explain, more suitable in the 1880s (like the one below).

Regards,
ARILAR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.