Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flying Tigers legend Tex Hill is in the hospital in San Antonio. His wife has said that he is not asking for visitors, only prayers.

Please keep this amazing man, and American hero, in your prayers.

T

·
Registered
366 Posts
Met Mr.Hill a couple of years ago at a Houston show. Picked up his book, it's a great read, amazing story. I wish him the best.

·
Gold Bullet member+
334 Posts
He addressed the Alamo chaptor of the 1st Marine Division Association. He told us about his service with the Flying Tigers. When he was done we all sat there with our mouths open and then there was thunderous applause. He is an amazing man. God bless him. Shermysan

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
He is a great man. I have his book and it is really interesting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
he is also in the History channel Dogfights: Flying Tigers season 1 it was pretty interesting to watch...boy could he fly

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
I had the pleasure to land and depart a couple of times from the military airport at Kunming. I can assure you they remembered the "Flying Tigers" with some joy. In 1986 I even had a very interesting conversation with a Chinese high officer while waiting for five hours for our plane. He even insisted to be seated next to him just because I knew of the existence of the Flying Tigers in their hour of need! Amusing is that he never would tell me his rank, in that time an officer of the Chinese army was only recognized because his jacket had a couple of pockets more! His English was better as mine, so I knew he was "first rate". Beautifull memories.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
According to the latest thing on the warbirds resource site. Tex was in the hospital after a little spill getting in or out of bed. According to Tex he spun in! They say however he is home now and still wishes us to keep him in our prayers. Bill Wishing also Blue Skies for Tex!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Farewell to an American Hero

Posted on: http://www.warbirdforum.com/

"Shantih (peace) to David Lee (Tex) Hill of San Antonio. The son of a missionary, he was born in Korea in 1915, returning to the U.S. when he was one year old. As a student at Austin College he applied for navy flight training, earning his wings and a commission in 1939. He was one of a band of carrier pilots who volunteered for the AVG from the carrier Ranger, and was in the first group of pilots to reach Burma in August 1941. When squadron leader Jack Newkirk was shot down over Thailand, Tex replaced him and soon became the most-loved of the AVG commanders. He was one of five pilots who accepted induction in China and became the immensely popular commander of the 75th Fighter Squadron and later of the 23rd Fighter Group: "raw-boned, shambling, dispenser of one-liners that could be sidesplittingly funny." We will not see his like again."

Mr. Hill died yesterday afternoon. I'm certain he'll be welcomed, and in good company, in heavens' airspace!

T

1 - 14 of 14 Posts