Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is quite O.T. but could someone explain to me just why this went for auction today at $1875.00.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,509 Posts
Someone saw something in there that they really wanted (or more than one something).

I just watched two guys battle it out on Proxibid for a Romanian M1893 Mannlicher long rifle. I wanted it but not for the $1625.00 it went for. Insane price.

Regards,
Bill

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill: These were featured on the same auction. Prior to this one a similar box of parts went for $850.00. I did pick up an Eddystone reasonably before the bidding went crazy.

·
15,509 Posts
Bill,
Not Romanian!
Regards,
John
Hi John,

I tried to go back and pull it up again but I had deleted it from my watch list, so I can't get it now.

What was it?

Regards,
Bill

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Bill,
Steyr's 1914 Romanian contract was taken into service by the Austro-Hungarian Army, much like the Steyr Mexican M1912's. It was used to arm, among other A/H units, the Polish Regiments in A/H service. It is one of the rarest "foreign" rifles featured on the A/H Army's captured and foreign weapons manual, the "Merkblatter uber eigene und fremdlandische Hand- unf Faustffeurwaffen" of 1918, or "Merkblatter" for short. I have only handled 2 in my short life, both at Springfield Armory's Museum. Both the Springfield rifles were damaged in the 1930's in a small fire. Both also had their rear sights replaced by Austro-Hungarian Steyr M1895 rear sights if I recall correctly. Or perhaps the used the same sight? Both were picked up on the ground in Belgium and France in 1918 by US Army Ordnance officers.

Not the WW I-era A/H units markings.

Sorry, my pics won't post. Time for some editorial work!
Regards,
John

·
15,509 Posts
John, thanks for that education which is not to be found in Paul's book. In the photo link posted above (Thanks, Tom!) I see that there is something strange about the side of the magazine. I don't have a Romanian but I do have a Portuguese, so I am familiar with them.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
3,472 Posts
Bill,
You are correct. The magazine is weird indeed since it's made of two separate side panels.

Here are pictures of an unissued Romanian M1893, but made in 1904, well before WW I. This one is in the US Army Ordnance Museum.

Many of these rifle bearing the "1914" date were converted to the 8x50R cartridge then standard in the A/H Army. Other were issued in 6.5 m/m.
Regards,
John

Attachments

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,909 Posts
Then there's the bolt m/m (a K98k bolt) Greek contract Model 1930 FN Mauser that didn't even have all cartouches intact that went for $975.
Pat

·
15,509 Posts
Bill,
You are correct. The magazine is weird indeed since it's made of two separate side panels.

Here are pictures of an unissued Romanian M1893, but made in 1904, well before WW I. This one is in the US Army Ordnance Museum.

Many of these were converted to the 8x50R cartridge then standard in th e A/H Army. Other were issued in 6.5 m/m.
Regards,
John
Thanks for the photos. My Portuguese was made as a short rifle. Note rear sight in photo above.

Was the strange mag for a cartridge conversion?

Regards,
Bill

·
15,509 Posts
Then there's the bolt m/m (a K98k bolt) Greek contract Model 1930 FN Mauser that didn't even have all cartouches intact that went for $975.
Pat
I'll sell mine for $975 and then buy another one. ;) Photo is Greek FN1930.

I did just put a Guatemalan VZ24 on Gunbroker, starting at 10:30 EST tonight.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
3,472 Posts
Pat

Hi Pat,
Yes, that rifle was sort of inexplicable. On the other hand, there were some sleepers, or maybe not? Many of these rifles were real loosers and had serious rust problems. I bought one of those crazy multi-rifle clusters which featured a Carcano cavalry carbine in 8 m/m Mauser and a boltless SMLE. However, hidden in the bunch was a groady-looking Dutch M1895 police carbine, the one with the rare side-folding spike bayonet. Although this carbine didn't have the bayonet, it was worth a lot more than $85.00
Regards,
John

·
15,509 Posts
Hi Pat,
Yes, that rifle was sort of inexplicable. On the other hand, there were some sleepers, or maybe not? Many of these rifles were real loosers and had serious rust problems. I bought one of those crazy multi-rifle clusters which featured a Carcano cavalry carbine in 8 m/m Mauser and a boltless SMLE. However, hidden in the bunch was a groady-looking Dutch M1895 police carbine, the one with the rare side-folding spike bayonet. Although this carbine didn't have the bayonet, it was worth a lot more than $85.00
Regards,
John
I wonder if you could make an SKS or Type 53 bayonet work without altering the Dutch carbine?

Regards,
Bill

·
8,909 Posts
Hi John,
Hope I didn't confuse anyone, but the one Im referring to was on Gunbroker, and just ended early today. Beyond the 'I just gotta have it!' factor, it doesn't make sense.
Pat

·
8,909 Posts
Ah, I see now. Thanks!
Pat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts