Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
3,937 Posts
that is a beautiful pic of those wolves! am i to understand they live indoors or in a kennel? i ask because i wonder how you would control them if they run loose in the yard. sorry to hear about misha. my pit mix is 15 years old next month and she is really declining.
In Nevada, I had five acres fenced, and then a smaller run that was attached to the house. The wolves came in and out through the bathroom door. I would let them run the property for about an hour in the evening and half an hour during the morn, after meals. During the weekend, they were out as long as I was out, which could leave them sleeping under trees, laying in the shrubbery and such. They would stay inside a lot, except during winters when they insisted on being outside in the snow. When they weren't inside the house, they usually hung out in the run.

· Diamond Bullet Member
9,582 Posts
We have a couple of reasons we will shoot them on sight. We have kids and dogs that run the property. 2nd is we view them as competition for the game we enjoy hunting, Deer and Turkey. If they want to hang around, they should do so on the neighbors property, but they have some of the same issues.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
We have plenty of coyotes here in Indiana, they howl and carry on at night in our hayfield behind the house. Never shot one though, I figure as long as they stay back in the hayfield they pose no threat at all. Now if they migrate to the house and endanger chickens or the calves then they might just get plugged.

· Registered
582 Posts
there will be varmint problem as long as fur is out of fashion. when it was fashionable up until mid/late 80's there wasn't many coyotes dead on the road or foxes either. a few ***** but not many. trappers made good livings then down here in texas coyotes were 50-80 dollars a hide, **** in the 20's everything else was high also and there wasn't much of a varmint prob. then PETA got to the elites and they stopped buying fur and prices went down. this year was shaping up to be one of the best years in couple of decades on fur prices and then the collapse started. FurFishGame mag didn't even put any price projections in their latest issue. i was getting ready to get my traps down but ain't going to now.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
when i checked the local fur prices last feb (that is our big local event) about the only think bringing any money were high quality otter pelts. unfortunately the only otter pelts i had were all caught in a conibear trap i had set for beavers.

· Administrator
3,412 Posts
no offense but you sound like a city dweller. any country boy or girl understands the value of good yard dogs. they are not meant to be pets you cuddle with. they are guardians. they protect the property and anything on it. they have never bothered another human being. they have been great dogs. :)
since you don't know a damn thing about me, no, don't make assumptions. If you keep them IN YOUR YARD, fine, however if they roam free, that is ignorant. I hear lots of country folk talk about roaming wild dogs, well, if yours or others roam free, they are killing game that would be nice to live off of if the SHTF.

I have found it impossible to talk to folks who beleive their cats and dogs should just roam as they see fit; as they beleive they have the "right" to do so. But they act surprised when their cats are taken by coyotes or their dogs are shot by folks who consider them feral dogs or hit by cars....

If yours are "always" in your yard, then this doesn't concern you, but I personally don't beleive that dogs are meant to be left outside all the time, but that is your belief and I won't be able to change what you think.

Ed

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ahem, in the country we don't have "yards", we have acreage, pastures, woodlands etc. everyones dogs roam free. all my neighbors dogs come to my house every single day and mine do likewise. almost everyone i know in my county has yard dogs and not house dogs. it is very common throughout rural areas no matter what part of the country you live in. it is natural for them to live outdoors. i am sorry you are so ignorant on the matter. may the peta be with you.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
very interesting dog. dog fighting is mostly about attitude from my experience. looks like the jindo has plenty of it.

I was at a party Saturday night and spoke to a gentlement who has one of these -

http://www.kang.org/Jfac.html

He has some trashy neighbors with a pit bull mix of some sort that is poorly socialized and not restricted to their property. Fellow said the two dogs got into it one day and the Jindo won easily.

· Registered
3,937 Posts
ahem, in the country we don't have "yards", we have acreage, pastures, woodlands etc. everyones dogs roam free. all my neighbors dogs come to my house every single day and mine do likewise. almost everyone i know in my county has yard dogs and not house dogs. it is very common throughout rural areas no matter what part of the country you live in. it is natural for them to live outdoors. i am sorry you are so ignorant on the matter. may the peta be with you.
Well, because of what my guys are, I fenced in my 5 acre spread. One time the neighbor's bull got loose and sprung my pack. I get a call from several neighbors and a Sheriff's deputy.

"Steven, it looks like your wolves are out."
"Thanks, Officer, I am coming home to fetch them."

They ran amock in Stagecoach for hours till I was able to get the animal control officers the names of the escapees. They found them playing with some children, called the names, and my wolves obeyed. Neighbors said the bull and my pack were playing, noone trying to hurt the other. I woudl like to be far enough WOD where I could let my guys be a bit freer, but I worry about my guys getting hurt, or having to hurt something, besides rabbits. So I fence thme, and let them be house wolves.

Last couple of nights, the pack has been in mourning, and two of them slept on my bed with me. The others take over the furniture. They live life exceptionally well.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
i would like to fence in about 7.5 acres but just can't afford it. it would be nice to have some donkeys around to keep the underbrush clear and also keep the coyotes in check. some people around here use llamas for coyotes and wild dogs but i am not sure i can trust the local deer hunters/******** to not kill them.

· Registered
27 Posts
Last winter, a pack of coyotes chased a deer into the chain link fence at the back of my yard and broke the doe's neck. My Brittany had a fit then which alerted me. Made one heck of a bulge in the fence where the doe hit. Until then, I didn't even know that I had a coyote problem. I've got a 4 acre yard fenced in with a 4' chain link fence, which didn't slow the coyotes or deer down in getting in. Just the deer in getting out.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
I ran into this when a neighbor moved across the street, who was from the country. They let their dogs run free..it got to the point where they'd come into my garage and growl at me...I wasn't happy to say the least... but they didn't realize it was a big deal in the burbs. Even when they did figure it out, they expected the rest of the neighbors to adapt to their dogs running free. Eventually, one of the other neighbors took matters into their own hands and solved the problem...

I see both sides of the story, have friends that are farmers, and they have dogs that roam free. I don't have problem with it, unless it affects me on my property. To each his own... It's just the way things are, depending where you're from and what you're used to...BeSwift

· Copper Bullet member
10,117 Posts
I grew up in the country, most dogs running free were not a problem as stated above they often came and "visited". If they became a problem the owners were warned a few {3 or 4} times. If that didn't work.....dead dog, usually shot. Most folk in the country know if a dog is running peoples cattle, or maiming/killing farm animals the dog has to be fenced or die. It really bothers me to kill someones dog, but I have, I hope/pray I never have to again.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.