Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few nights ago my little yard fiest was barking her head off as usual. just doing her job keeping beavers and skunks at bay etc. then i heard a scream accompanied by multiple yelps. i took off out the door, keeping my house dogs inside, and saw two coyotes chewing on the little girl. they ran when they saw me but she was already messed up real bad. my big yard dogs were off roaming as they often do at night so the little fiest was home alone.

my question is this.................. do you think they were going to eat her or were they just killing for spite/competition purposes?

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes a fiest is a very small hunting dog. they are best known for treeing squirrels. also good for mice, snakes and anything else they can intimidate with their barking. she has done a decent job of charging beavers at the pond

she lived outside and has done well, even this winter. with my two boxer mixes out cruising she became a target. i didn't let my house dogs out to defend her because one is old as hell and i didn't want my doberman to get bitten even though he would been victorious. my boxer mixes have really messed up some coyotes but they weren't home.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you are right they do run in packs. but the wildlife experts always laugh at this and say they don't. they need to put down their manuals and spend more time in the woods. i would say most dogs can whip a single coyote though because they just aren't that strong and don't have the drive to equal a dogs protective instinct. but they are clever and quick!

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
i do not see any need for coyotes where i live. they are hard on native animals like, fox, songbirds, rabbits... well, basically anything smaller then they are.

here is my resident coyote slayer. 5 years and 70 pounds with a huge jaw. i used to have a matched set but his brother recently disappeared. i suspect a deer hunter. :mad: a number of times i would be sitting outside at night and the coyotes would start to yelpl. my dogs would immediately run off in the direction of the sound. after a few minutes i would hear a fury of growling, yelping, barking and crying. about 10 minutes later my boys would come home with their ears chewed and blood running down their necks. not their blood though. they would be so happy with their tails in a dominant posture and just skipping all around me waiting for approval and of course they would get it in heaps.

but since his brother has gone to the happy hunting grounds he mostly just barks at the coyotes. sometimes he even stands up to bark at them.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
You want something that can defend itself from coyotes, get something with wolf in it, like huskies or malamutes. Having a large dog is no guarentee, as I have seen what coyotes can do to Great Danes, Rotties, Dobies and most non-shepard breeds.
my experience is very different. a dog of equal size (a motivated dog) is not good news for a coyote. coyotes where i live are 40 pounds tops. usually about 30. coyotes don't care to risk getting injured if they can avoid it. a dog usually doesn't have that fear. of course i am generalizing greatly i realize and i am talking one on one. i am having a very hard time believing a coyote be a problem for a great dane or a dobe. i have had several of each and i can tell you they would not have put up with a lowly coyote. in fact my current dobe has whipped both of my yard dogs one of which you see in the photo. those two dogs have been coyotes worse nightmare and have even killed one and left it at my doorstep. but they pretty much kill everything wild they encounter.

i know coyotes are strong for their size and extremely clever. but they just don't have the body mass or motivation to fight an animal that can hurt them and possibly bring about their slow death if they can't compete for food.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
and this is a good thing?

Why would you want them out killing for killings sake?

I just don't get this mentality...
yes it is a great thing! i haven't had any problems with animals in my yard since i got them. i use to have beavers cutting down trees and damming up the pond. had a big problem with skunks too. not something you want to open the door to at night! armadillos and skunks used to dig up the yard at night. fox and weasels used to kill my chickens. hawks too for that matter. deer used to get in my garden and eat my peas. these are just a few examples and my dogs have taken care of all of these problems.

no offense but you sound like a city dweller. any country boy or girl understands the value of good yard dogs. they are not meant to be pets you cuddle with. they are guardians. they protect the property and anything on it. they have never bothered another human being. they have been great dogs. :)

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
hairball tell me more about your wolf mix if you would. i had an opportunity to get a 1/2 lab and 1/2 wolf hybrid recently but passed because i just don't know anything about wolf mixes. i heard they if they have wolf in them they are hard to housebreak because wolves aren't averse to going within their den like a dog is.

and like you said i do recognize the difference between a house/sheltered dog and one that has lived it's entire life outdoors. hell, my dogs don't even have a dog house. they sleep under the bushhog which is raised up a little. i taught them to come, go, sit, down. that is it.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
that is a beautiful pic of those wolves! am i to understand they live indoors or in a kennel? i ask because i wonder how you would control them if they run loose in the yard. sorry to hear about misha. my pit mix is 15 years old next month and she is really declining.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
when i checked the local fur prices last feb (that is our big local event) about the only think bringing any money were high quality otter pelts. unfortunately the only otter pelts i had were all caught in a conibear trap i had set for beavers.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ahem, in the country we don't have "yards", we have acreage, pastures, woodlands etc. everyones dogs roam free. all my neighbors dogs come to my house every single day and mine do likewise. almost everyone i know in my county has yard dogs and not house dogs. it is very common throughout rural areas no matter what part of the country you live in. it is natural for them to live outdoors. i am sorry you are so ignorant on the matter. may the peta be with you.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
very interesting dog. dog fighting is mostly about attitude from my experience. looks like the jindo has plenty of it.

I was at a party Saturday night and spoke to a gentlement who has one of these -

http://www.kang.org/Jfac.html

He has some trashy neighbors with a pit bull mix of some sort that is poorly socialized and not restricted to their property. Fellow said the two dogs got into it one day and the Jindo won easily.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
i would like to fence in about 7.5 acres but just can't afford it. it would be nice to have some donkeys around to keep the underbrush clear and also keep the coyotes in check. some people around here use llamas for coyotes and wild dogs but i am not sure i can trust the local deer hunters/******** to not kill them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.