Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
1,456 Posts
I'm able to bring in coyotes with a call here in Michigan at work near a large city and up north got a reply that sounded more wolf-like than coyote. They are everywhere. Only in the last 4 or 5 years have I noticed them. I think the unusually large deer population has a lot to do with it and the road kill.

In fact last year we heard a whole pack of them yipping and yapping as they ran around in the woods. Used to get them all around us at Camp Pendleton years ago where they would sneak in and chew on unopened c-rat cans. Never a threat though but with larger hungry populations, interbreeding with dogs and whatnot I expect more of this.

· Banned
1,456 Posts
It's when the population gets large, food gets scarce and they are used to close association with people that you get the little kids, old ladies getting attacked.
Probably much rarer than moose or deer attacks but of enough concern that you want to be aware of local conditions if you have little ones around.

· Banned
1,456 Posts
Not sure why you have "outside" dogs. Whats the purpose, and letting your others roam free? That is what others call "feral" dogs.....

never have understood the drive to kill coyotes, they are a intregal part of the food chain, unlike wild dogs roaming free.

Ed
Coyotes are somewhat of an exotic in many parts of the country. The former wolf population kept out the coyotes, now that there are no wolves the coyotes fill the niche.
I think I'd rather have the wolves but that will probably take another decade or two, we are possibly getting some now (lower Michigan) moving south from the U.P.
I don't like killing coyotes en masse the way I see it done in places but I understand the problems they can cause.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.