Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few nights ago my little yard fiest was barking her head off as usual. just doing her job keeping beavers and skunks at bay etc. then i heard a scream accompanied by multiple yelps. i took off out the door, keeping my house dogs inside, and saw two coyotes chewing on the little girl. they ran when they saw me but she was already messed up real bad. my big yard dogs were off roaming as they often do at night so the little fiest was home alone.

my question is this.................. do you think they were going to eat her or were they just killing for spite/competition purposes?

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
What is a 'fiest'? Is that some kind of pocket dog?

Keith
I looked up Fiest and it said it was a type of rat terrier.

M1A, is the dog a rat terrier?

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
a few nights ago my little yard fiest was barking her head off as usual. just doing her job keeping beavers and skunks at bay etc. then i heard a scream accompanied by multiple yelps. i took off out the door, keeping my house dogs inside, and saw two coyotes chewing on the little girl. they ran when they saw me but she was already messed up real bad. my big yard dogs were off roaming as they often do at night so the little fiest was home alone.

my question is this.................. do you think they were going to eat her or were they just killing for spite/competition purposes?

Every intention of eating her.

You shouldn't allow the little dog out where they can get her unless the big house dog is with her.

I had a Silky which escaped Coyote death twice.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes a fiest is a very small hunting dog. they are best known for treeing squirrels. also good for mice, snakes and anything else they can intimidate with their barking. she has done a decent job of charging beavers at the pond

she lived outside and has done well, even this winter. with my two boxer mixes out cruising she became a target. i didn't let my house dogs out to defend her because one is old as hell and i didn't want my doberman to get bitten even though he would been victorious. my boxer mixes have really messed up some coyotes but they weren't home.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Rabbula

To be blunt , yes , she was to be dinner . :(

Used to be a bounty paid on the damned things , still should be IMO.

We still have open season on them though . ;)
The coyodogs are getting to be more a prob-can't always tell that easy what they are.hardly see too many stray cats though.coyotes will eat almost anything.
Threw away some meat scraps when I lived in Des Moines.Heard a racket late at night and went out to see the damndest sight -several large rabbits scarfing on the scraps. Never can look at a bunny the same way again.Always wondered what they thought of humans. Be a a good name for a horror flick-Rabbula.
Sorry to hear about your fiest,M1A-my dog was part ridgeback(large) and just about everything left her alone.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,658 Posts
One larger dog vs. one Coyote, I'll put my money on the dog.
But Coyotes are seldom by themselves, as they normally operate in packs.
I have seen the left overs after Coyotes have taken down big dogs.
Back when I lived in Southern Mississippi (12 years ago), there was a growing problem with Coyotes, as they were all over the place in large numbers.
The Coyotes were rapidly loosing their fear of man, and it is just a matter of time before we stare seeing attacks on smaller childern and the little old ladies.
Yes, there should be an open season year round on Coyotes.
Gregg

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you are right they do run in packs. but the wildlife experts always laugh at this and say they don't. they need to put down their manuals and spend more time in the woods. i would say most dogs can whip a single coyote though because they just aren't that strong and don't have the drive to equal a dogs protective instinct. but they are clever and quick!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,044 Posts
Well, I hope your pooch comes out of this OK.

Rabbits eating meat...apparently if you raise rabbits, feeding an expectant mother about a teaspoon or two of hamburger about a week before delivery will prevent her from eating the babies after they are born.

Keith

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I'm able to bring in coyotes with a call here in Michigan at work near a large city and up north got a reply that sounded more wolf-like than coyote. They are everywhere. Only in the last 4 or 5 years have I noticed them. I think the unusually large deer population has a lot to do with it and the road kill.

In fact last year we heard a whole pack of them yipping and yapping as they ran around in the woods. Used to get them all around us at Camp Pendleton years ago where they would sneak in and chew on unopened c-rat cans. Never a threat though but with larger hungry populations, interbreeding with dogs and whatnot I expect more of this.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
10,316 Posts
They're getting thicker in the SF Bay Area as well. Some of it is a loss of fear of humans combined with the easy living off of unsecured trash. Some of it may also be a function of the exploding "wild" turkey population. I can't believe the coyotes would have much trouble taking those birds - they're not very wary.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Far Western MD is getting overun with them. 7 yrs ago, there were none. Now, you can go our any night of the week on my property and hear large numbers of them. Supposedly they are now in every county in the Maryland, but haven't gotten to nuisance numbers in the more populated areas YET. I need to get some NVG, bait, and get to shootin... BeSwift

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
coyotes eat dogs, a fox is their mortal enemy. we used to have a lot of fox, now we have a lot of coyotes. even a healthy lab or german shepherd is no match for more than 1 coyote. a predator hunters trick is to train a lab to go out, stop on command, and haul ass back on command. then you can send the dog out a couple of hundred yards, start calling, and when the coyote (s) see the dog, they will close in. call the dog back before he gets in trouble, then blast the yote when he gets in range.... it'll also keep his eyes off you. had a friend that had a cabin in maine, had his poodle out in the fenced yard, heard yelping, ran outside in time to see the coyote or wolf, he wasn't sure which, go over the 5 foot fence with the poodle in his mouth. never got the poodle back, shortly theirafter, sold him a vasquera (sp) 44mag. i hear them packing up at dusk where i hunt my dads land here in the delta, have seen them run deer, but have never seen then traveling in daylight in a pack.... usually just 1 or 2. they are smart, so i doubt they'll be attacking children and little old ladies. every one i've seen runs like hell when they see a human.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
It's when the population gets large, food gets scarce and they are used to close association with people that you get the little kids, old ladies getting attacked.
Probably much rarer than moose or deer attacks but of enough concern that you want to be aware of local conditions if you have little ones around.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,960 Posts
they don't stop and stare around here, they know the name of the game. hard to hit them buggers with a rifle when they're wide open.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.