Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Olympus D-560 Zoom digital camera rolled over and died last sunday. It was a good camera and took really good pics.

Yesterday I went by Best Buy and picked up an Olympus FE-210 to replace the old camera. I'm not impressed at all. Actually I'm really disappointed in this camera. The picture quality is abysmal. So, It's going back to Best Buy for a refund.

What would you folks recommend in a digital camera?

I'm a basic point and shoot type and don't need a high end camera. With that said, I do want real good picture quality, extreme ease of use and a zoom feature. The D-560 Zoom filled my needs completely, wish I could buy another one new.

·
Silver Bullet member
402 Posts
I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ3 that I love. It has a 12X optical zoom and is very good with the macro functions for closeups. I use mine for most everything and I find the high optical zoom a necessity.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 with a 3X zoom that works great for me.
Be sure to by one with optical zoom as digital zoom only enlarges the picture and results in a grainy look.

·
Registered
333 Posts
last summer when I went to buy a new camera, I looked at ones $200-$500 and got one at the higher end of my budget. it is a Canon powehsot S3IS, I have been happy with the clse up and still good pictures in less light.

I had gone to circuit city and could look at numerous examples. I used a dime from my pocket and tried to see how the cameras compared using the store lights ...

Ed

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,858 Posts
I have a Canon Rebel & it works fine.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
camera

How about a great Sony Mavica I'm selling.....:eek:

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
Camera recomendations

My Olympus Stylus D-500 does an AWESOME job, ESPECIALLY with macros ! Stay wil Olympus, and go with the newer Stylus 700 series model, it's also waterproof, you can use it outside without worrying about a little rain/mist/fog/snow, whatever.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've got an Olympus D-535 that my folks gave me for Christmas '04 or '05, and it takes GREAT photos as long as you've got sufficient light. Clear and sharp closeups with the right settings, and good distance shots, too. It's a solid little camera, but sadly it's only 3.2MP...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vic, I looked at the camera you have for sell. I think it's way more camera than I need. I did consider it though.

Gunhorde, I was real happy with the D-560, which is why I picked up the FE-210 (what a horrid Olympus camera). The Stylus cameras are so small that I don't feel comfortable with them. My short stubby fingers have a hard time with the smallness. I'll give them another look just the same.

son_of_the_gun, Sounds like the D-535 is comparable to the D-560 I was using. It took such nice pics even at 3.2 MP, which seemed to be just fine on closeup shots.

Thanks for the responses folks. Man, decisions, decisions :).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had a Kodak EasyShare Z710 that took good photos and just picked up an Easyshare Z712 IS (Image Stability)with 10X optical zoom and 8x digital zoom. Just over $200 at Office Depot. The store says 230 but their web site says 210. Make them collect the web price.

Par

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Vic's Sony

The camera Vic has posted is a excellent camera for pictures of guns,while i do not have this one i have seen pictures made with one.I have a Pentex pro model SLR and a Nicon cool pix which are both excellent.Get what you like or you will never be happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts