Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
More hype than truth (am not referencing forum members)

The Bush41 ban (Comprehensive Violent Crime Control Act) which was introduced in 1989, eventually signed into law by Clinton in 1994 and allowed to die a few years ago is probably what gun-control legislators will try to resurrect, if anything in Obama's first term. Way too many major issues on the front burner to stir this hornet's nest up. My neighbor seems to be losing sleep worrying about the issue because he brings it up every time we're at the range. My bet and I can be as wrong as anyone else is that we're not going to have a big push by Kennedy-Feinstein-Pelosi-Shumer etal to go after guns in the middle of an economic meltdown and major foreign policy problems. I'm not worrying about it and bet if I live another 20 years (improbable), I'll still have my Garands.

Interesting list of weapons included in Bush's list, similar to those listed above:

• Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
  • Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
  • Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
  • Colt AR-15;
  • Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
  • SWD M-10; M-11; M-11/9, and M-12;
  • Steyr AUG;
  • INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, AND TEC-22;
  • revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12.
Bush also authorized the ATF to expand the list but exempted domestic manufacturers to a large extent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
History

Most of the people here remember all this stuff but some of the younger members may have no recollection of the efforts in the 80's to ban 'assault rifles'. The point is to remember that we can get mentally locked into thinking one political party or group of people will attempt to go after our firearms which sets people up to be blindsided by the folks we trust.

Best to be aware of the precedents, and have 360 degree vision.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE6DB1738F93BA35754C0A96F948260

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.