Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Russians take a pistol into space, and we take a RIDING CROP??? I'm so embarrassed!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/09/wpistol109.xml

Russians blast off without space pistol

By Bonnie Malkin and agencies
Last Updated: 1:51am BST 10/10/2007

Russia is sending its first cosmonaut for 20 years into space without a “space pistol”.

Russians blast off without space pistol
The gun was made in 1982

Yuri Malenchenko will join colleagues on a flight to the $100-billion International Space Station (ISS), but he will do it without the specially-designed weapon.

Created in 1982 and in service since 1986, the TP-82 pistol was not primarily designed to fend off hostile extra-terrestrials.

Instead it is meant to protect the shuttle’s crew after landing in a hostile environment back on earth.

The unique pistol has three barrels which fire hunting rounds as well as rifle bullets and signal flares. Its butt serves as a machete and a spade.

However, the gun's original ammunition has deteriorated so much it is no longer viable and no new bullets are available.

Nevertheless, the cosmonaut won't risk going into space completely unarmed. "Malenchenko will be taking with him a simple pistol.," a Russian space programme source said.

His will not be the only weapon on board the flight. ISS crew commander and US astronaut Peggy Whitson will be wielding a "kamcha" - a traditional Kazakh horse-whip, which a Russian space official advised her to take "as a symbol of a commander's authority on board".

"I do not believe I will have to use it," she said in Russian with a smile.

"Well, let's have it, just in case."

The voyage to the space station blasts off on Wednesday afternoon.

The Russian Soyuz rocket is due to dock with the ISS on Oct 12. Once in space, the astronauts will spend six months in orbit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wonder what "simple pistol" he'll be bringing along? Perhaps a little ole' Makarov? And if so would that be the first pistol in space?

·
Administrator
7,053 Posts
You didn't know that the Makarov already has the title of First Pistol in Space?

The Russians sent a mak up for years, to defend against wolves when they came down in Siberia. Their spacesuit even had a built-in holster for the makarov.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Comrade the capabilities of NATO 'death stars' were noted by moscow and a countermeasure was deployed to restore strategic balance.

http://arvsn.mil.ru/foto/fmus4.html

On the note of the (purely defensive in nature) survival weapon thanks for showing this I always knew they had one but never had seen it or its capabilities.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Both my Maks are "out of this world" !!!!! :D :D

regards....roger

·
Registered
22 Posts
One story i heard was that it was only a prototype but another says it was issued to MIR crew. The purpouse? laser pistol to blind/destroy enemy spacecrafts sensors. The link was presented to me as saying:

Text reads:

Back in 1984, The Russian Military Academy research group presented an experimental working prototype of a military laser pistol, (certificate number 448)
The pistol contains pyrotechnic flash bulb which generates initial impulse.

Authors:
Victor Samsonovich Sulakvelidze, General-Major, PhD, Professor (Project Leader)
Boris Nikolaevich Duvanov, PhD, Professor (technical and experimental research)
Victor Vladimirovich Gorev, Captain (technical and experimental research)
Ludmila Igorevna Avakjanz.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You didn't know that the Makarov already has the title of First Pistol in Space?

The Russians sent a mak up for years, to defend against wolves when they came down in Siberia. Their spacesuit even had a built-in holster for the makarov.
<hangs head in shame> No, sorry. I'll just stand back here in the corner now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to altavista.com babelfish translator

Once more, in English? :D

SlimTim
Laser pistol with the pyrotechnic flash bulb. It is developed in 1984. Monument of science and technology of the 1st category (certificate of №yaya8) * The avtory:Zasluzhennyy worker of science and technology OF THE RSFSR, the doctor of technical sciences, professor Major General Sulakvelidze Victor samsonovich (graduate in 1943) - the leader of the project * the doctor of technical sciences, the professor Of duvanov Boris Nikolayevich (graduate in 1966) - the technical and experimental studies * Ad'yunkt captain burning Victor Vladimirovich - technical and experimental studies * Ludmila igorevn's Avakyants Author's svidntel'stvo of №22yaya2ya of the state committee OF THE USSR on the matters of inventions and discoveries. Construction of pistol - colleague THE NILE -4 Simonov A.V. Back

Don't shoot the messenger!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts