Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
The round looks longer than the tube, and is that rifling on the bottom of the round? super cool picture
Looks like there is a band around the middle of the round. My guess is that the top half of the round sticks out of the mortar (assuming of course that one goes with the other).

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,287 Posts
A favorite pawn shop in my home town had a so-called German siege mortar from WW1 on the lawn in front of the business for years, but then someone pleaded with the owner to sell it, and off it went. The one posted reminds me of the mortar in the photo in some ways - impressive.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
WOW! Looks like massive hydrolic recoil buffers...a crane for loading....some sort of crank (off to th left of the photo) for taversing the mortar along a circlular rail....pretty dam interesting. Thanks for sharing the photo.
How things have changed.........

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking maybe it's two piece. A projectile and lower is a booster of some sort. I can't even imagine seeing it fly through the air.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,768 Posts
Wouldn't that be kind of a siege gun? Mortar is just drop it in and boom where this appears to have a trigger device to make it go boom. Maybe I am mixing up the idea of what a mortar is??? Did not the French invent the spring recoil buffers??

And yeah the round looks bigger than the whole barrel which seems like you would get a lot of tumbling during flight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.