Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember right, wasn't there a post about a bolt storage box on the boards many moons ago? Maybe it was Ted that posted it? At any rate, do you guys store the bolts separate from your rifles? I find I can get a little more space in my safe if I remove the bolts. Any ideas?

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
No, I store my rifles on their butts with the bolts rearward. You get the same effect this way as removing the bolts- more space between rifles.

Regards,
Eric

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
Call me paranoid....LOL...If my untimely demise were to take place.....=+O, there would be only one person to know what item goes where & that would be me.....sooo, I try to keep things together & hopefully my bolts & accessories will all be together when that time comes....If I need more gun space, I open the bolt on the rifle, that allows more space to stack them side by side - other folks stack their guns barrel up and barrel down to make more room - If I really need more space, then I buy or make another safe......If your house has been broken into as many time as mine has, gunsafes are the only way to go....

Many folks keep their bolts locked away separately from their rifles due to making sure they are kid proof.....Good idea, but if you have many rifles, they are bound to me mismatched should you pass on unexpectedly....

Pahtu.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric. I do the same thing also. For some reason or the other I have this vision of seeing such a thing here a long time ago. Looked pretty cool. I think it was around the time Ted was posting about his gun rack designs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
... At any rate, do you guys store the bolts separate from your rifles? ...
I store mine on the doors of my gunsafes ...

·
Registered
984 Posts
I thought about removing the bolts to make more space. Will the bolt spring be ok is left compressed for a period of time?

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
I use the plastic pencil boxes from Walmart to store the bolts from my rifles that I can't fit in my safes. I tag them and sort them by type and country and uncock them to preserve the springs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Youngblood, Are those rope lights in your safe?
Yes ... I have a 25' rope light in each gunsafe (OFF when closed) in addition to a goldenrod-type heater stick and a small constantly-ON fan to provide some air movement in the enclosure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts