Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would share this... It is from my decidedly anti-gun pacifist mother. Maybe she is coming around to some kind of middle ground. She worked in Hollywood for many years as a casting director, so i think this really surprised her.

rpu99
mark

You Would Never Have Guessed

Captain Kangaroo passed away on January 23, 2004 as age 76 , which is odd, because he always looked to be 76. (DOB: 6/27/27 ) His death reminded me of the following story.

Some people have been a bit offended that the actor, Lee Marvin, is buried in a grave alongside 3- and 4-star generals at Arlington National Cemetery His marker gives his name, rank (PVT) and service (USMC). Nothing else. Here's a guy who was only a famous movie star who served his time, why the heck does he rate burial with these guys? Well, following is the amazing answer:

I always liked Lee Marvin, but didn't know the extent of his Corps experiences.

In a time when many Hollywood stars served their country in the armed forces often in rear echelon posts where they were carefully protected, only to be trotted out to perform for the cameras in war bond promotions, Lee Marvin was a genuine hero. He won the Navy Cross at Iwo Jima There is only one higher Naval award... the Medal Of Honor!

If that is a surprising comment on the true character of the man, he credits his sergeant with an even greater show of bravery.

Dialog from "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson": His guest was Lee Marvin Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ...and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

"Yeah, yeah... I got shot square in the bottom and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi. Bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting' shot hauling you down. But,Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew... We both got the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. That dumb guy actually stood up on Red beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullet s flying by, with mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target of gunfire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one occasion because his men's safety was more important than his own life.
That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, "Where'd they get you Lee?" "Well Bob... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!"

Johnny, I'm not lying, Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew.
The Sergeant's name is Bob Keeshan. You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

After the war Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life. He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

America's real heroes don't flaunt what they did; they quietly go about their day-to-day lives, doing what they do best. They earned our respect and the freedoms that we all enjoy.
Look around and see if you can find one of those heroes in your midst.
Often, they are the ones you'd least suspect, but would most like to have on your side if anything ever happened.

Take the time to thank anyone that has fought for our freedom. With encouragement they could be the next Captain Kangaroo or Mr.Rogers

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
On another note, there was this wimpy little man (who just passed away) on PBS, gentle and quiet. Mr. Rogers is another of those you would least suspect of being anything but what he now portrays to our youth. But Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat

Not to rain on your parade but the above is 100% false. Check out Snopes !!

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

As to the Lee Marvin story. You might want to check this out also. Seems as how the good Captain was a Marine but he never saw action on Iwo Jima.

http://www.snopes.com/military/marvin.asp

regards....roger

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to rain on your parade but the above is 100% false. Check out Snopes !!

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

As to the Lee Marvin story. You might want to check this out also. Seems as how the good Captain was a Marine but he never saw action on Iwo Jima.

http://www.snopes.com/military/marvin.asp

regards....roger
Bogus info on the net? OMG.
Actually, this doesn't rain on my parade. My views on military heroism remain pretty much unchanged regardless of whether this info was true or false.

Leads to an interesting dilemma. Do i debunk it to my Mom? After all, she is a virulent anti-gun person and the info (inaccurate as it is) has moderated her stance. No presentation of facts concerning gun ownership and/or the military has softened her anti-gun stance in the past. Her sending me this info is a another indication/admission of a softening of her left-leaning stance (sorry, but as a psychologist i do tend to look for motives behind one's actions). It hasn't been easy for her having a Libertarian son. ;-) Actually, horror upon horror, one of the rare sub-type of libertarian hawks.

So thanks for the secondary source debunking, but i think i will sit on it rather than share it with her. And i think i will hold out for another Gander Mountain gift card for this birth day- a gift that was quite a stretch for her last birthday...

mark

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Here are a few more celebs who served in WWII:

James Doohan (“Scotty” - Startrek): Landed on Juno Beach as a member of the Royal Canadian Artillery. Was wounded by machine gun fire, losing the middle finger of his right hand and was struck by a bullet in the chest.

Ernest Borgnine: Served in the U.S. Navy for ten years from 1935-1945 and left the service as a Gunner's Mate 1st Class.

Glen Ford: Served in the Marines in World War II. Built safe houses in France for those hiding from the Nazis.

Victor Mature: Petty officer in the Coast Guard during World War II. Served in the North Atlantic, including Normandy, the Mediterranean, Caribbean and the South Pacific. Was on Okinawa when the A-bomb was dropped.

Ed McMahon: Marine fighter pilot during WWII. Retired as a Colonel. During World War II he was a pilot-instructor and test pilot. During the Korean War he flew 85 combat missions after being called back to active service in 1952.

Buddy Hackett: Served in the Army with an antiaircraft unit during World War II.

Tony Bennett: Served in the US Army during WWII. Was involved in the liberation of a Nazi concentration camp at Landsberg, Germany.

Don Adams: Served in the U.S. Marines. Participated in the invasion of Guadalcanal where he contracted blackwater fever and nearly died. After his recovery he served as a drill instructor.

Walter Matthau: Served in the Army Air Corps as a radio cryptographer in a heavy bomber unit in Europe and returned home a sergeant with six battle stars.

Jimmy Stewart: First movie star to enter the service for World War II, joining a year before Pearl Harbor was bombed. Eventually became a Colonel, and earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre and 7 battle stars.

Alan Hale (“Skipper” – Gilligan’s Island): Served in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II.

Russell Johnson (“The Professor” – Gilligan’s Island): Joined the Army Air Corps in World War II, and earned the Purple Heart when his B-24 Liberator was shot down in the Philippines during a bombing run in March, 1945.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Bogus info on the net? OMG.

So thanks for the secondary source debunking, but i think i will sit on it rather than share it with her. And i think i will hold out for another Gander Mountain gift card for this birth day- a gift that was quite a stretch for her last birthday...

mark
A very wise man !! :D

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,970 Posts
Actually, this doesn't rain on my parade. My views on military heroism remain pretty much unchanged regardless of whether this info was true or false.

Leads to an interesting dilemma. Do i debunk it to my Mom? After all, she is a virulent anti-gun person and the info (inaccurate as it is) has moderated her stance. No presentation of facts concerning gun ownership and/or the military has softened her anti-gun stance in the past. Her sending me this info is a another indication/admission of a softening of her left-leaning stance (sorry, but as a psychologist i do tend to look for motives behind one's actions). It hasn't been easy for her having a Libertarian son. ;-) Actually, horror upon horror, one of the rare sub-type of libertarian hawks.

mark
i guess because the antigunners used lies, we should too huh?

sigh

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
I was going to recommend that you share with your mother, all the hollywood actors that did serve, proudly, in our armed forces - but Seinen beat me to it!

Irregardless of the specific details, the facts do include that Lee Marvin and Cpt Kangaroo served in the USMC, along with other "celebrities", some of which Seinen listed. That should still be compelling to your mother.

And on a final note, the next time you see her, take her out to the range and have her pull off a few rounds from a mosin....she'll be instantly cured of her anti-gun sentiments! ;)

T

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A superb book on this topic-American Entertainers in WW2-is "Duty, Honor, Applause" by Gary Bloomfield and Stacie Shain. It goes into the military service of not only males but also females in WW2.

·
Registered
353 Posts
seinen, thanks for getting the right names in front
of GB members. If my daughter sent a Gander or Cabelas
Gift card; would send it back for a Bass Pro card.
Even though no C&R's at BP. We all need to complain
about this at the local BP store so Corp HQ gets our
message.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If we're going to mention actors who were actual heroes

Charles Durning, veteran of decades of stage, television and film performances, and also of Omaha Beach on 6 June 44 and another 6 months of infantry combat in Europe.

Awarded three Purple Hearts (for real wounds, not John Kerry boo-boos) and a Silver Star.

One of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre of American PoWs during the Battle of the Bugle.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Charles Durning, veteran of decades of stage, television and film performances, and also of Omaha Beach on 6 June 44 and another 6 months of infantry combat in Europe. Awarded three Purple Hearts (for real wounds, not John Kerry boo-boos) and a Silver Star. One of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre of American PoWs during the Battle of the Bugle.
Man, sorry I forgot about him.

C/

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Here are a few more.

Jack Palance: WWII service with the Army Air Force as a pilot, he was wounded in combat, received the purple heart, good conduct medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

Charles Bronson: Drafted in 1943 and assigned to the Army Air Corps. Was trained as a bomber tail gunner and assigned to a B-29. He flew 25 missions and received, among other decorations, a Purple Heart for wounds incurred in battle.

Chuck Connors: Joined the Army on October 20, 1942. After enlistment in the infantry at Fort Knox, he later served mostly as a tank-warfare instructor at Camp Campbell, Kentucky, and then finally at West Point.

Larry Storch ("F-Troop"): During WWII, served on a submarine with future actor Tony Curtis.

Burgess Meredith: Served in the U.S. Army Air Force in World War II, reaching the rank of Captain.

Buddy Ebsen: Served in the Coast Guard during WWII as the executive officer on a submarine chaser in the North Pacific.

Clark Gable: Gable joined the US Army Air Force, flying combat missions in Europe. Adolf Hitler offered a sizable reward to anyone who could capture him.

James Arness: Wounded in Italy in World War II.

Denver Pyle (“Gunsmoke”): Enlisted in the navy. Wounded in the battle of Guadalcanal, he received a medical discharge in 1943. Cousin of Ernie Pyle.

Werner Klemperer (“Hogan’s Heroes” – Col. Klink): Served in the U.S. Army during World War II, assigned to the Special Entertainment Unit.

Eddie Albert: Active participant in the battle of Tarawa. Albert was credited with rescuing up to 70 wounded Marines while under enemy fire. He was awarded the Bronze Star with a combat "V".

Cliff Robertson: After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, sixteen year-old Robertson, then serving on a merchant ship in the Pacific, was reported as having died in the attack.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Outstanding info Seinen! Thanks.

Biggest surprise for me is Werner Klemperer!! I had no idea he was American. And I call myself a Hogan's Heroes fan!! "Thirty days in the kuhler!!"

:)

T

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think telling your mom the truth would make her more proud than letting her find out later that it's bad information. It goes to integrity. It would probably get you a few points as well to provide the truth about the others that has been provided. I'm just sayin.....

Rockcrusher, Cabelas has way better stores and some C&R's in the used gun section as well. I wouldn't turn down any of the 3. I would have to drive by 2 Gander Mountains and a Bass Pro to get to the Cabelas but it's worth the trip to see. I often just stop at the Gander Mountain stores on the way to the Cabelas in Hamburg.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My mind full of trivia is fading. Tell me how much of this is correct. During WW II actress Hedy Lamar (can't recall her real name) is credited as inventing/designing a way to transfer radio signals from one "slave" or "repeater" antenna to another on a rotational or intermittent basis keeping the Germans from triangulating the location of aircraft, spies, and/or resistance fighters from their radio signals. The same basic idea is still used today with cell phones. She took no money from any design patent but gave it to the U.S. government as a demonstration of partiotism to her new country. She was an immigrant from Austria(?) Seems I recall that from a Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" many years ago. DDR

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Seinen!

She actually cast at least 5 of the shows on your lists and has used probably 1/2 to 2/3s of the actors on your list in various shows as well.

If you don't mind, i will forward the lists to her.

mark

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Outstanding info Seinen! Thanks. Biggest surprise for me is Werner Klemperer!! I had no idea he was American. And I call myself a Hogan's Heroes fan!! "Thirty days in the kuhler!!":) T

He wasn't born in the US, but rather emigrated here to escape the Jewish pogroms of the 1930s. The same holds true for Larry Banner (Sgt. Schultz). I believe he was born in Austria, but fled here to escape the Nazis.

C/

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Thank you Seinen! She actually cast at least 5 of the shows on your lists and has used probably 1/2 to 2/3s of the actors on your list in various shows as well. If you don't mind, i will forward the lists to her. mark
Don't mind at all. It's unfortunate that for every actor's contributions to the WWII effort I've recounted here, I've probably overlooked or fotgotten three others.

C/

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
During WW II actress Hedy Lamar (can't recall her real name) is credited as inventing/designing a way to transfer radio signals from one "slave" or "repeater" antenna to another on a rotational or intermittent basis keeping the Germans from triangulating the location of aircraft, spies, and/or resistance fighters from their radio signals. DDR
She was a co-inventor (U.S. Pat. No. 2,292,387) of the method known as "frequency hopping", which used a piano roll to change between frequencies and was intended to make radio-guided torpedoes harder for enemies to jam.

C/

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Leads to an interesting dilemma. Do i debunk it to my Mom? After all, she is a virulent anti-gun person and the info (inaccurate as it is) has moderated her stance.

mark

Why not tell her? First off, I fail to see any connection between celebreties' military service (real or imagined) versus private ownership of firearms, and so fail to see how this could be detrimental to your agenda/politics. Secondly, perhaps by telling her the truth she may start to question other "urban myths", including those about firearms and firearms ownership and seek the truth on her own.

"The truth shall set you free"

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.