Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off topic but kinda relevant since many of us like to shoot K98 rifles using steel core bullets.

This ever happen to anyone here?

If you look at the ear protectors you can see splats of blood too. Imagine if he was leaning to the side by only a fraction of an inch. That's gonna be like a watermelon hit with an 8mm K98 round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhgC4wF7MU

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Shooting glasses. I've had the occasion to dig a fingernail clipping shaped and sized sliver of lead out of my forehead right above my left eye while shooting falling plates with .45 auto. One half inch down and no shooting glasses and I would have been blinded in that eye. That's a heavy price to pay for being too lazy and stupid to merely wear eye protection. I've had two OOBs in an M1 and M1A that cut my arms and face, blew out magazines, and sent bolt guts flying. These things will happen if you shoot alot. If you shoot alot these things have already happened to you. ALWAYS wear shooting glasses.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The worst thing that's happened to me so far with the K98 is the hot gas in my face. I wear my glasses so when I take them off I see blots of oil on it too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This has been making the rounds for a bit. Guy is darned lucky. Good thing it wasn't a Red Rider BB gun. It would have gone straight for his eye.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ow!

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,287 Posts
The worst thing that's happened to me so far with the K98 is the hot gas in my face. I wear my glasses so when I take them off I see blots of oil on it too.
I wear glasses also and I have had the same result as you. It pays to wear eye protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get oil on my glasses alot, my Romak-3 is bad for that.

I have been hit directly in the chest by a .357 mag ricochet. That was not pleasant.

At an indoor range I go to when the weather gets bad I had a .50AE brass hit my forehead. The case mouth got me just below my hair and left a little finger nail like cut.

At the same range, while shooting the rental submachinegun, a hot 9mm brass landed on the top of my safety glasses and sat there till i realized that my eyebrow was getting burned.

These things happen. Always wear your protective equipment.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,376 Posts
I watched that several times. Did you hear it whistle, and did you see it hit the ground in front of him jsut before it hit him. If he was shooting AP my guess is it was the copper jacket that came back at him. I've seen that happen with several calibres at those ranges.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I watched that several times. Did you hear it whistle, and did you see it hit the ground in front of him jsut before it hit him. If he was shooting AP my guess is it was the copper jacket that came back at him. I've seen that happen with several calibres at those ranges.
Standard M33 Cal 50 ball has a near total steel core , but it is not hardened like the cores used in the AP bullets.
Richochets...been there done that too many times !. The "funny" one was when I gave my little brother ( I was maybe 14 then ) a 1911 and had him shoot a chunk of old railroad wood in the corner of the basement. We were using old 43 dated steel cased fodder. Well he got one to hit the floor before it and it skipped into the creosote soaked 'log' with not enough power to penetrate and gently arced back in a slow mo richochet that hit him square in the forehead. He dropped his arms and the pistol in the furnace drain bucket. Then staggered back into the hot furnace pipes and fell forward on his face. Don't know which one hurt him more , but he had a real pointy knob on his forhead when all was said and done. Kids will be kids - ie stupid !.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Worst thing and dumbest thing I ever did was put shotgun shells on top of large granite stones then took a bb gun to try hit the primer. No success.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Years ago when i was much younger a friend and I were out at the local dump and one of us fired a .22 round into a old washing machine tub. round went ping ping and came whizzing back out between the 2 of us.Have never tried that trick again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The stupidest thing I ever shot at and nearly killed my self. I was at the back of my father-in-laws property shooting at an old washing machine that was laying in the bottom of the creek with my M1 Carbine. The first round I shot went into the side of the washer, into the drum and back out, right at me! It hit the creek bank about 2 feet to the right of my head. I didn't shoot at the washing machine anymore! :D

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
The stupidest thing I ever shot at and nearly killed my self. I was at the back of my father-in-laws property shooting at an old washing machine that was laying in the bottom of the creek with my M1 Carbine. The first round I shot went into the side of the washer, into the drum and back out, right at me! It hit the creek bank about 2 feet to the right of my head. I didn't shoot at the washing machine anymore! :D
Oh come on...all you got to do is shoot and duck behind a tree. Yes, that is scary.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
30-40 kraig. logging gate. locking bar was protected by a 1 in steel sheet. well. the bullet went thru the sheet struck the bar, came back and hit me in the leg. app 100 yards. i was hit so fast didnt know what hit me. learn? shit. check out gk forum for my AP testing. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts