Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Ammo

How did anyone know the lot, brand, or where the ammo came from that Oswald used? That's very interesting, How much of the same lot was made that he used some of? Do many people still have any of it that is know of?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Only things I've heard about this ammo is that it was manufactured for use by the Greeks, who'd captured thousands of Italian rifles. It was also used by a few others in countries where Italian weapons had been captured and reissued.

The bullet jackets were often brittle due to poor manufacturing process and cheap materials and due to this had a tendency to crack where crimped causing the bullet to break in two when impacting flesh. The "Magic Bullet".

Heres something I remember reading many years ago.
Grandpa Stoneman, a Countrywestern star you may remember from the TV series HeeHaw, wrote of ,or told a writer of, an accident he had when he used Italian 6.5 bullets in reloads for a 6.5 Manlicher Schonauer rifle. The Italian bullets turned out to be .268 diameter and far too tight a fit for his rifle's throat.
He had ejected a round from the chamber and saw an empty case but had thought he must have already fired that round earlier and forgot about it. He said that if he'd paid better attention he'd have seen loose powder in the action.
The bullet from that cartridge was stuck in the throat just enough to be pulled free of the neck when the action was opened.
When Stoneman jacked another round into the chamber either the bullet was shoved further in or more likely the next bullet was shoved back into the case. When fired with two oversized bullets, and a probably tightly compressed charge, the brass Casing cold flowed back into the action jamming it tight, no other harm resulted and the action was repairable.
That was the first I'd heard of the Italian 6.5 using a larger diameter bullet.
Its not unlikely that the Carcano's often poor reputation is more due to poor quality ammo, and reloads using too small .264 bullets, than any shortcomings of the rifle itself.
I'd been offered two mint condition long rifles about 1970 for $20 each, I could not find ammo for them anywhere locally or the enbloc clips for them. I don't usually buy an older rifle unless I've test fired it so I let that deal pass.

I figure that as long as these rifles are in good condition they are safe enough and should be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Paper insert

Gentlemen:

If anyone posting to this thread has other images of this particular ammunition box, I would be interested in seeing same, so could you please post them?

Also, I was lead to believe that there are/were slips of paper included inside these boxes with information on it that compares to what is posted on the outside of the box; is this true, and if so, could someone also post an image of this paper slip?

And, if anyone has images of the headstamp of this same ammunition, could you please post them as well.

And finally, I am interested in acquiring a box of this ammunition, if anyone has any for sale.

Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
David:

Thank you very much; this is what I was looking for. As a matter of curiosity, was there a slip of paper inside this box when you first opened it? Or perhaps it was not sealed when first received.

Again, many thanks - greatly appreciated.

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.