Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past four or five years I've seen both a 30 rifle and carbine that had about 60-70% of the original color, should have bought them, but didn't, old story. As I remember, the finish was like the early Nagoya "yellow," but with a tinge of red. Can anyone confirm or give me a more accurate description? I plan to go to the trouble expense to have one of my 30 carbines restored (yes, I know, but it's my carbine so as the old song goes, "I don't care what Mama don't allow, I'll play my guitar anyhow!") There are very few 30's around that have not either been finished once or more or have had the original finish worn off. Roy, Could your stock repair expert in Cleveland, AL refinish when and if the correct color is determined?.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,721 Posts
I would expect to see a range of colors, like the "other" rifles.

I always look in the barrel channel or mag well for original color/finish.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are brown because they are a 100+ years old and were not handled by collectors until the last few years when the original finish was long gone. As far as a range of colors, they were only made for 10 or so years, I disremembere the high SN, but would think they were all stained the same color like the early Nagoya 38 rifles.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,721 Posts
Well, since they were made at Tokyo; they probably looked like the early Tokyo T 38s!;)

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,272 Posts
This is really a favorite subject of mine. Like Don said, I "think" you'll find a range of colors, or shades, on T30s because different stock blanks stain slightly differently due to several reasons, everything from moisture content to density. I remember checking over a mint T22 carbine several years ago that had a stain color very light brown in color, almost a tan color. I've seen T38's with shades from a almost tan to dark reddish brown. I've got a near mint T30, and I'll give a try on getting a good photo next week after getting back in the groove here at the house after returning from the Banzai meeting at the SOS.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was a MINT Type 22 Murata in the Pittsburgh collection we sold for my friend. It must have come from a Japanese museum, I don't think it was ever issued. I'd have loved to have owned it, but it was my job to price it and I priced it out of my dollar range. Teri Jane bought it and it is one of the Muratas featured on her Nambu World site. As I remember it was a light yellowish color.

And yes, different woods do take different stain colors, I remember a friend in P'burgh had a cutback sniper with the yellowish finish I've ever seen on a 99 sniper and probably the next stock in line ended up with a different color finish. But in general, I would think there would be an "average" color that a stain would leave for the same genus, species of stock wood, with wood from different trees of the same species staining darker or lighter.

What I'm looking for is a color to use on the 30 carbine that the Japanese would have used on their 30 stocks, if it was a light yellow stain I don't want to use a dark red stain.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,272 Posts
Doss, I gave up waiting for the sun to shine so I could take the photos outdoors. Using floods and my cheap Kodak, I made a couple photos of my T30. She's nice. You'll see the finish on this one is a rich reddish brown typical of early T38s also, and, well, most of the early T99s. Whatever, the floods bring out the color, but the wood is pretty dark anyway.

Attachments

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Fred, I have a 30 carbine with some original finish remaining and it's close to what you pictured. Doss

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roy, "Where's my hammer" on the one you sold me? Trying to remember what I ate in the hospital for breakfast two days ago??? I know it WAS NOT the grits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.