Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 96 page original manual with 36 detailed fold out diagrams for the entire weapon, parts explosions and accessories.

The date is Showa 17.5 which I was told is May 1942. The paper is very thin paper that is of high quality. It is 5" tall by 3 5/8" wide. The cover is a faded mauve color, or maybe that is what it started out as.

It is all Japanese characters with some our numbers.

Is there anybody familiar with this manual? All I have been able to find for my Type 96 has been very general US military publications on the type 11, 96 and 99.

I wanted this to aid my effort to put my type 96 back together. If it is not worth much, I will not bother with the white glove treatment. If it is one of a kind in the USA, then I will make scans and sell them on disk. I am sure the Japanese Imperial government want mind(it was uncoditional surrender after all).

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I really really REALLY want to see the section on the contents of the gunner's pouch. Is there any way that I could get that information from you and scans of the contents diagram?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello tribrothers :

The LMG manuals are not rare, but uncommon, you see one once in a while. The biggest problem with all Japanese publications is the language. Very few people can read it, and even modern Japanese people cannot translate old Kanji. Japan like China seem to change their tongue every 50 years.
It would be nice if all these to us important manuals could be translated, it would clear so much bunk and theories about these arms. I am sure that the book can be converted into a disk, but without translation it's just a picture book.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vicasoto
Thanks for the information. I think I will put this on my list of projects and scan it. It will probably be this winter before I get the chance. I will make a post whenever this happens, and send out the parts that are of interest to others.

Ron
Other than the shared systems, from what I can tell this only covers the type 96

Tribrothers

·
Registered
20 Posts
As an aside,I'm pretty sure my Father-in-Law could translate anything from the period. He was forced into duty as a translator for the IJA in Korea ( he has back problems to this day from the "persuasion"). During the Korean War,he was a translator for the U.S. Army. He has this incredibly thick book that he carries with him that he's written the Kanji into.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Denny R

When I get it scanned, I will send a copy to you. I hope he doesn't mind taking the time.
Thanks in advanced,
Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Do you know if your manual covers the 99 too? If it does, I would buy a CD from you.
I just found an original T99 LMG manual on Yahoo Japan Auctions. My girlfriend has a deputy account to bid on there, so I'm going to try to get it. This is the first time I've seen one for a 99, I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts