Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I go into a little shop about 20 miles down the highway from me. I was more than pleasently suprised to see an SVT-40 leaning back behind the counter. I asked to take a look, a 1941 refurb all electropenicled to match except for the magazine. The bore had strong rifling but wasn't the greatest. It has the scope notch. I was shocked when I asked for the price and the man told me $750. SVT-40s are hard to find in California, and when they do show up for sale, teh asking price usually seems to be around $1,500 (and people actually do buy them that high here). So now I'm really actually considering buying this SVT when the man goes, "oh it comes with this stuff as well" and pulls out an SVT manuel type book, an extra mag (repro), and an SVT scope and mount. I call Vaarok on the way to the bank, pretty much just because I really need to tell somebody about this deal.

So, here's my question. Is this an original SVT scope mount? It looks legitimate to me, and the scope's the real deal, I Just don't know about mounts, but I figure Marcus, Vic, sssniper, or somebody will.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,578 Posts
Scope looks good. The mount looks cast, not milled, and with these pictures I would say repro. To be sure we need close ups of the back little circle and underneath, which should be marked.

Also, on the scope, does it have a CB between the 13 and 0 on the elevation turret?

It will be interesting to see the rifle's notch. No matter what the outcome, you did very well. Just a matter of how well.

·
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There wasn't any CB mark. I actually have an SVT-40 scope on my PU sniper, an all original century import as far as I can tell, that doesn't have the CB either.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
I agree with Mike, the mount is a reproduction.
But, considering the cost of scope/mount/extra mag - you got this rifle for under $200.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
You did great and that was a fantastic price. By the way buy some lotto tickets in case your luck holds up!

·
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I'm extremely happy to find an SVT, and just to have the repro mount and scope tossed in was a great bonus. Now that I have an SVT, I'm going to need a new goal!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but the "CB" actaully goes on a PU, does it not? I mean, Vic and I did a trade of a "CB" for me, and a non-"CB" to him, so that he would get an SVT scope and I could have a PU scope. I would think HE would know what he's doing.

Great find! Wish I could run across a deal like that!

·
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TW1Kell, from what I understand, the CB mark was put on many of the scopes originally made to be put on SVTs but instead put on 91/30s.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
The CB marking means that the scope is calibrated for the PU rifle even though it is made in the SVT style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PU, PU-SVT, have & need

HAVE-PU -SVT scope that came on my Mosin 91/30; scope info:1940 N07899 with P[]K under serial #.
NEED-PU scope for the above Mosin 91/30: Rifle info:1943 Ishevsk #4662.
NEED-I have a SVT vet bring back from the 40's.The man died 15 years ago and family have no idea where the scope, mount, and clip went; Rifle info:Tula 1941, HA1830

1 - 12 of 12 Posts