Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thumbing through my 1965-66 American Rifleman magazines. I see quite a few adds on the back pages from Hunter's Lodge (the old Interarms) advertising very nice looking K98s and other mauser rifles. Of course for $35-40 ea. which I'm sure was quite a sum in those days.

I do not believe these were required to be import marked back then and not sure how many if any were all matching.

My question is do you believe that the original all matching K98s mostly came this route or from bringbacks by returning WWII vets? The dufflebag cuts would be no question. Probably does not matter value wise as we know they were German WWII issued rifles and we can determine original finish etc. Just curious if the all matching rifles we see today mostly came in this way.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Really hard to say----but 1968 started the importation stamp markings on the rifles.

In my experiance, many came in with the vets. And the quality of the vet returning rifles was quite nice compaired with early importations.

Hunter's Lodge "today" is quit the place--known for many of the faked one-off produced weapons that can ONLY be found by them!.....They produced a few variations that ONLY could come out of the backroom of Hunter's Lodge!

Many-many people have felt the Hunter's Lodge dagger to the pocket book--only to find out later that the given example was produced post war in there back room!...Then the common H/L run-around begins!

BAF

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to know how Hunter's lodge obtained these back in the day. You hear how vets were able to go to a pile and pick out one, though some say one pile contained the rifle, while another all matching unto themselves bolts.

It would seem to make more sense for the matching number K98s to be bring backs or shipped backs by WWII vets. Back then it was not illegal to have a war trophy, just US military firearms; and we know many of those came home too.

It's also interesting to note these same magazines of the era highly encouraged folks to "sporterize" their mausers offering services and aftermarket parts to do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.