Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
7,260 Posts
I doubt they used garnet shellac.
I have an Finn (non-refurbed) 1939 Tula 91/30 in it's original Tula marked stock and it does NOT have shellac on it.
It also does not seem to have the Finn pinetar mix, but it does look to have had oil rubbed into the wood (but not to the extent that it created a "build" finish).

· Banned
7,260 Posts
Shellac was NOT collected as flakes, it is made from harvesting millions of tiny female Lac beetles and the dark red very hard protective "egg huts" that the female beetles extrude which (along with bits of twigs to which the beetles are fused) are crushed and boiled.
The resulting paste is poured out and allowed to dry.
When chipped into small portions the flakes are formed.
There are (and were) several methods of converting harvested Lac beetle material into shellac, some of which produce a VERY hard almost polyurathane material.
Fact is modern polyurathane was invented as a synthetic relpacement for shellac, but some methods of shellac "extraction" result in a product that most would have difficulty telling was not a polyurathane type coating.

· Banned
7,260 Posts
Here's mine, no shellac to be found...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.