Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just curious about the value of a dragoon. i saw a past auction for a 1922 dragoon that closed for $525 and there is a current auction for an 1897 dragoon that is currently at $450. do these really command that high of a price or are people overpaying? all i know is that i wouldn't pay that much for one and i have 2 dragoons. one is a matching bolt 1929 tula SA marked and the other is a 1922 mismatched bolt Izhevsk. what would the value of either of these be with 50% blueing left and average bores. have been thinking of selling the Izhevsk but i'll keep the tula. i would still like to know what the tula is worth though. i keep a book in case something happens to me that has my rifles and the low to upper prices for each one. that way when my wife sells them (hopefully to support my kids and some a new hubby) she can at least have a reasonable idea of what to list them for.

mosinnagant.net states that there were approx 4.3 million dragoon rifles. if the prices are correct in the auctions, are there really that few to be had? is it because most were upgraded to 91/30 standards or were reworked and a new barrel used? approximately how many made it through without getting a new barrel or being upgraded? seems like there would still be quite a few of the 4.3 million in original condition to not warrant that price. maybe i'm wrong and they are that valuable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
here is the link to the 1922 auction. it should be ok to post it since the auction is over.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=78136825
i will say that the rifle in the auction is in excellent shape as far as the metal. however, i wonder if it is a reblue as the condition of the stock doesn't match the condition of the metal on the rifle. the auction also doesn't state if the bolt matches but i bet it is a mismatch based on one of the pics that show a tula mark on the bolt head. i just think the price is pretty high. it seems that the winner bid several times to make sure that it is his....however somebody else had to bid almost that high for his bid to get there.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm aware of prices from around $100 to well over $2k. Earlier is better. Early & original early configuration & all matching is huge. Your average Finned Dragoon from the 1920s is about a $300 gun. When you say all matching, ya gotta give a bunch more information. The 1897 at $450 is probably not going to reach reserve, but the reserve shouldn't be much more. Note that it is NOT in original, early configuration. It's a typical Finned Dragoon with an early date. If your average Finned Dragoon has been sanded & shellaced, knock off $100. Where, when & who matters more than anything. They ain't eay to find for most folks. I've been saying They are three hundred dollar guns for a good long while. Some are getting more, but not all the time. Straight Russian should really bring more than the Finned ones. But, hard to quantify when the Finned ones sometimes go over $500.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok, teach me. what is the difference between an original and a finned dragoon? is it that the finn dragoon has a replacement 2 piece stock as it does in the auction? i corrected earlier my post in that the tula that i have is not all matching. it has a matching bolt. the rest is mismatched. it is in a finn 2 piece stock. i'd have to dig out the Izhevsk but it is a complete mismatch IIRC. i do not believe that it is a finn rifle and i think that it is in the original stock. it has been a long time since i even looked at it. forgot i even had it til i saw the auction and remembered it is in a case in the closet (behind the christmas wrapping paper). will try to get it out tomorrow and see what it is.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Early (pre-1907 or thereabouts) had the flat rear sight, no steel crossbolt in the stock, the handguard has no end caps & the wood of the handguard wraps all the way around the rear sight. There are other variations on the handguard (doesn't go all the way around the rear sight, but no metal end caps). Early configuration Dragoon, or Infantry, M91 rifles are almost never seen in any condition. All bets are off when one does come to market. The Finned Dragoons almost always have the Konolov, curved rear sight and the later handguard. If one has a high amount of blue, safe to say it was reblued. My $300 statement would be bottom line for a Dragoon that came here from Finland & hasn't been messed with since it got here. But, you have seen what some of them can sometimes bring at auction. Price trends on the auction boards do rise & fall. Sometimes severely. Ted has pics of the early rear sight &, oh, I'll call it the "intermediate" Dragoon handguard. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91D.htm

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
I paid $300 each for a couple from a board member recently and $350 for one with Spanish Civil War history. I think the last one I bought locally was an 1897 SA marked for $160 or so at a gun show.

I agree that $300 is the starting point and they go up from there.

You have the original handguard that wraps all the way around the rear sight with the numbers stamped in the wood (I've never seen one of these in person). Then you have this type that was cut down, probably because of damage, and will not typically have the metal reinforcing at the rear. Next are the ones built in the "cut down" configuration that do have the metal reinforcing. Finally there is the typical M91/30 handguards, but with various types of metal used for the end caps. I have one Dragoon in a stock made in the Balkans, probably Romania, and it has the third type handguard of the same wood as the stock and I think it was made at the same time years after that type of handguard was obsolete.

On the page that Steve linked, the rifle at the top has the 2nd type (cut down) and the handguard at the bottom is the third type (built in "cut down" configuration). I really need to re-take that picture and layout all the various types on that page.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,094 Posts
My Finned 1927 Dragoon with a bad bore and poly'd stock isn't selling at $180 shipped. So, that might be the low end, because of it's condition.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
A polyed stock just kills value in my opinion. I picked up an antique Dragoon (1896 or 1897 IIRC) for about $160 (trade value I had in it) that had been parkerized. I couldn't stand to look at it and sold it to a local board member. He was going to try to do something with it I but I don't know if he ever did.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
greg i looked at your rifle but the poly killed it for me. i just don't have room in my collection for bubba....unless it is a really hard to find rifle and that is the best example i can come up with or afford.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Greg, it really sounds like you should consider finding an appropriately finished stock & put it back up for auction....

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yours is a deal at that price. Somebody will end up sorry they didn't jump on it.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
They are for sure going up in price. I have a few in my collection that I have bought over the years and I am amazed at what they go for now..... Now the Cossacks in my collection? HA - Talk about a good pay day when these leave my collection. I have four and three of these were bought for under $100.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Interesting estimates of value...Before the Boards switched over,I had a 1894 (first year?) Finn marked Dragoon up for sale on the Boards,Russian stock with faint Deutsches Reich stamps,solid bands,cut down handguard,Finn matched bolt and original old leather Russian sling with dog collars up for low $300's shipped (which costs me $40) and had only a few ridiculous trade offers..... Yugo M48 anyone?

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Interesting estimates of value...Before the Boards switched over,I had a 1894 (first year?) Finn marked Dragoon up for sale on the Boards,Russian stock with faint Deutsches Reich stamps,solid bands,cut down handguard,Finn matched bolt and original old leather Russian sling with dog collars up for low $300's shipped (which costs me $40) and had only a few ridiculous trade offers..... Yugo M48 anyone?
Is it still for sale?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,094 Posts
Heh, I think it must have slipped through the cracks somehow. That one would not have lasted long if just a few of us had seen it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry, my "cutback" top handguard statement is misleading,the handguard looks like it was originally a Dragoon handguard (,rear section is humped) that was cutback and copper(not brass) ends added ala 91/30.Sorry for the confusion.
As for the rifle still being for sale,well that puts me in a bit of a spot.I originally posted the Dragoon and a '27 Tikka at what I thought were "quick sale" prices because I found something that I just had to have, time was limited and I figured those two would sell very quickly. Well they didn't sell, and much to my dismay, I had to sell several of my beloved Enfields to a local collector who had been bugging me for them.The Finns went back into the safe and I'm out a nice Siamese & a nice matching NRF Enfield.Life goes on.Is it still for sale,I guess, but I'm not as desperate to sell it.I hope you understand.
BTW,is 1894 the first year of production? it's an Ishevsk if that makes difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts