Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of posts on another forum here concerning reloading. The posters have a lot of opinions that are based on guessing and suposition? Many of their posts are completely wrong because they do not have hands on ecperience with the subject.
Why don't their threads get moved over here?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Depends on what you are reloading. If you are trying to load for an old rifle that not a lot of people shoot and you have a forum based around those rifles, I can see looking for and having the information in that forum. Just as you might ask that forum for disassembly help for that rifle rather than go the general workbench forum.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Depends on what you are reloading. If you are trying to load for an old rifle that not a lot of people shoot and you have a forum based around those rifles, I can see looking for and having the information in that forum. Just as you might ask that forum for disassembly help for that rifle rather than go the general workbench forum.
If I am loading for something long gone, last summer I was working on loads for a Remington Model 8 in 30 Remington, IMHO you have but a few options.

You can go back and look at manuals from the time knowing that the powders are different from then to today, start low watch for signs and work from there.
You can try a place like LoadData dot com and see what they have there not really knowing if the info they have is from a manual printed in 1954 or what.
You can go....well 30 Remington is basically a 30-30 with no rim, so lets take a look at 30-30 loads start on the low side and work from there.

Bullets are the same deal, you might have to hunt around (not a real good time for that now) and just see what will fly straight.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have seen the posts where you are arguing with people who have no idea what they are talking about . It is getting to be the norm on gun forums . So many have no idea what headspace is , how to reload , just quote incorrect info they heard somewhere as fact , no understanding how guns work , primers work , think hitting a 6 sq foot target at 200 or 300 yards from a rest is " accurate shooting " , fireforming or case alterations will kill you , and so on . You have to look at most of these posts as the comic section for amusement only .

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If I am loading for something long gone, last summer I was working on loads for a Remington Model 8 in 30 Remington, IMHO you have but a few options.

You can go back and look at manuals from the time knowing that the powders are different from then to today, start low watch for signs and work from there.
You can try a place like LoadData dot com and see what they have there not really knowing if the info they have is from a manual printed in 1954 or what.
You can go....well 30 Remington is basically a 30-30 with no rim, so lets take a look at 30-30 loads start on the low side and work from there.

Bullets are the same deal, you might have to hunt around (not a real good time for that now) and just see what will fly straight.
i am speaking more to older military rifles, for which there just isn’t a lot of published data out there. For example, if I want to load for an 1886 Austrian Mannlicher, the Mannlicher and Black Powder Cartridge Rifle forum is the best place to find information on the original ammo specs, and to find guys who are shooting those rifles. They may not be perusing the Reloading Forum very often. And that is a relatively easy cartridge to find information for.

I use Quick Load quite a bit for loading my old rifles. But having people who know the old cartridge specs is invaluable in saving a lot of time Getting going. A great resource, just like my pile of manuals, cast bullet forums, etc.

Regarding the OP’s question about folks posting erroneous info., I don’t know if everyone has noticed, but the world is not lacking for people who are very earnest in making sure you know their opinion, regardless of it’s validity. There are more and more people who think doing research is launching google and running with the first answer they find. That’s about the effort level they’re willing to invest. It’s only going to get worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.