Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all-

just happened to see pics of this on my comp today...and come to think about it i dont know much about it. This was the first helmet i bought and i think i picked it up for $70 or $80. Im pretty sure the liner and chinstrap are repro (and thought that at the time of purchase). The helmet is an hkp64 and also has 36,0. What i find odd is if you look in the one picture, the inside of the helmet where the dome stamp would be is green. You can also see where a luft decal used to be. Any opinions on the originality of this helmet?

Much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Because this looks "Too good to be true", I think everyone's a little hasty condemning it; the chinstrap DOES look suspicious, but markings ( if any ) and flexibility ( or even better, LACK of it! ) should be taken into account, too. The chinstrap on the M42 I recently bought also looked very good - about like one of the repros I got from Czechoslovakia - but is "in person" dry and stiff and the RBNumber's different and stamped differently. ( Common repros are stamped with the same RB Nos. over and over, using the same stamps and are well known/documented by serious collectors/dealers. ) If yours IS marked with anything OTHER than an RBN, it's most likely a repro, since mfr. names, logos, etc. were kaput by the time 42's were issued.

The liner itself looks nearly unissued, but that's NOT impossible; again, condition ( flexibility, dryness, cracking, SMELL! - things the photo doesn't show ) would have to be considered. The finish ( paint and its wear ) look VERY believeable from the photo - as long as it never SMELLED like paint! ( I especially like the way the eagle's been so carefully "picked" out, leaving its perfect outline imprinted in the paint - probably not something a faker would think of or bother with. ) Are the rivets TIGHT; and how do their prongs LOOK inside? Is the outer liner band marked; again if so, it would likely be with an RBN, and not a mfr. name and address. The liner bands look kind of misshapen and bent; that's the worst thing I see from the photos. Look at the small rivets/pins holding the leather to the band; if the leather HAS been replaced, at least one or two of those likely BROKE! I've lost to breakage both liner "rivets" and these pins while replacing liners. If any are missing or obviously different, it's a good bet the leather liner has been replaced. What color's the FELT inside? If it's new it'll be whiter than if it has any age toning to it.

Examine it more carefully and let us know what conclusion you come to!

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James-

thanks for the response. I will not be home until the end of July to have it in hand, but will do what you suggested when i get home. I know it does not smell like paint and the liner does not smell new...that much i know to look for. I am almost certain the chin strap is repro though. The reason i thought the paint might have been real is if you look closely there's small patches of dark rust, which unlike lighter rust, generally takes longer to form. thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.