Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was digging through a junk box at a local gun shop and found this, got it for $1. was wondering if repro or real? I'm assuming for Type-38? could be wrong only had two rifles with their original dust covers and both were 5th Series Type99

i figured for $1 it was worth it either way.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,213 Posts
This one is a head scratcher. Looks to be a cover for a 6.5mm rifle but it doesn't have the offset slot around the bolt handle hole like later covers. But, it has the bracket spot welded in place like later covers do. Also, the bracket is the heavier style that was normally used on early covers with rivets. The later brackets were just a simple piece of sheet metal bent to form an L shaped piece.
Is that an inspection mark at the left edge on the rear of the cover?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are no markings other than the serial number. feels a little heavier than the couple of repros i have handled and it has definite machining marks that the repros were also lacking. its definitely got me puzzled, dont know what to make of it. it fits my Type-38 rifle much better than the repro i have on it, doesnt really rattle around either. not what i could call a snug fit, but not loose either.

everything about it looks like the earlier ones i see in pictures aside from the welded bracket. could it be a transitional piece?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
My 2 cents is that looks like a high end reproduction with a serial number added for effect.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
At a buck, don't stress over it; can't tell from the pictures if it is good or not.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Might be for a 99 long? I had a 99 long with a matching DC , it had the internal platform. That's all I can remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.