Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8,105 Posts
Gus could be right - the combination of the condition and sawback with a leather scabbard may have caused the high price. Leather scabbards were not common by 1915, so it probably came from another, earlier bayonet. The maker is not rare or hard to find, at least in my experience. I think that there were just a couple of guys bidding that REALLY wanted that bayonet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice bayonet but puh-leeze...the price! Maybe I'm kidding myself though. Not specializing in bayonets and having gotten my examples years ago when the prices seemed reasonable my perspective might be off - but probably not that much! How come when I consign nice stuff to eBay I never get wild prices like that? Always seems to happen to "the other guy"!

·
8,105 Posts
RIR120, I have to agree, it used to be (okay, 10 - 12 years ago) that I just wouldn't pay more than $50 for a nice standard Sg98/05, maybe $85 - $90 for an Sg98/05mS with a nice scabbard but I have been surprised by the general, across the board price rise in Bayonets in the last few years. It used to be that Smokey Mountain Knife works sold British P07 bayonets (for the SMLE) with scabbard at $10 each and they knocked off a couple of bucks if you bought 5 or more, and a buck or two more if you bought larger quantities. Have you seen how much a decent P07 sells for now? Things are just higher. I guess you could say that you never pay too much for a desirable bayonet in decent condition, you just paid next year's price too early. *sigh*

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opinions on the bayo in question. At first I was thinking "auction fever" or a slug fest between two bidders was the reason for the price, but in looking at the bidders, there were 4 of them who were in above the $400 level. I have noticed lately that just about anything with a sawback on ebay tends to bring 150-200, and so when this one went to that level it had me curious. Since I don't normally study the WW1 market that closely, I wanted to get some more input on this one to see if I was missing something. I too am amazed at the prices bayonets are bringing in the last few years. Thanks again for the opinions!

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
I see no reason for that price. That guy almost always gets waaay more for things than they're worth. Guess he's holding his mouth right.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
There's just no accounting for what some things will go for on Ebay. If some bidder just absolutely, positively has to have it, come what may, logic can go out the window.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
WOW, makes me want to list all of my Sawbacks!!!! But with the way they're going, they'll probably be worth double that five years from now!!!! IDK, I bought a mint one with a metal scabbard & frog on ebay a few years ago for $180 bucks that would put that one to shame. I guess a few people really wanted it that day!!! Also, agree with TP on the scabbard coming from a different bayonet!!! BW, BB

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
I know the seller, and have purchased items from him at the local shows. He's a good guy and his starting price was $49. He also has some nice and unusual rifles on Gunbroker. What I have seen lately is a very steady (and hefty) increase in prices on even common WW1 era bayonets and other items. A lot being driven by European buyers. Guess they are gearing up for the 100th Anniversary.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
One reason some sellers will get a better price is because the buyers know them and they have a good reputation, I would rather pay too much for an item I know to be good than risk paying the right price from an unknown seller, athough I will risk a very cheap price to an unknown seller, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it does not.
Gus

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
I the local shows. He's a good guy and his starting price was $49. He also has some nice and unusual rifles on Gunbroker. What I have seen lately is a very steady (and hefty) increase in prices on even common WW1 era bayonets and other items. A lot being driven by European buyers. Guess they are gearing up for the 100th Anniversary.
A very good point. I can recall a time when you could hardly give WW1 stuff away. Now, it's starting to go through the roof.
Anybody wants to put together a WW1 collection, of almost anything, start now. It's already late. Don't wait for the centennial.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That price was just over the top. Prices are ridiculous lately, although I was able to pick up an ersatz Gras E.B.116 for $138.00, and it is a lot rarer than this S98/05nAmS with the aA leather scabbard, at least in my opinion. At least the scabbard was made for a sawback. But $450? Wow. You always see S98/05 sawbacks, they are always listed as rare, but there are also many for sale at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts