Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These literally came out of an attic with a bunch of other stuff, all of WW1 vintage or thereabouts.I am not well versed in headgear of any country but at least I recognized these as French.Is the plain kepi WW1 vintage infantry? The interior looks more finely tailored than the pictures I have seen of these. Is it legitimate?.
I was told the more ornate one was probably a firemans hat, but the flaming bomb tells me infantry. What is the little pommel /rabbits foot thing in the front?. I'm guessing that this was not a combat item.The last one I reconized as a naval hat, but St Tropez band threw me. Did they carry the name of their port/post instead of the ship?
thanks for any assistance
french1.jpg french11.jpg french9.jpg french5.jpg french6.jpg french2.jpg french3.jpg

·
Registered
312 Posts
The two kepis are either the M1884 or M1886, can't remember exactly which, but think M1884 is correct. The one with the ball ornament is the full dress version and appears to be for a Lieutenant of the Grenadiers. The other is the no-dress version for an NCO

Both would of been worn from the late 1880s - 1914.

The other would be a sailor's hat for the French Marine Nationale (Navy) and the band would have the ship's name stitched on it. However, 'St. Tropez' isn't listed amongst the French naval vessels that I'm aware of, so I guess it's possible that it could be the port garrison name.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The képi is a Modele 1884 from the 4th Infantry Regiment. this was the headgear worn in campaign in 1914.

The shako is a Model 1884 too, worn in parade dress, in this case an infantry model. There were no more grenadiers in 1884, the grenade is simply the infantry emblem.

The naval cap, called a bachis in France, is from the Etablissement des Constructions et Armes Navales de Saint-Tropez, that was a torpedoes construction establishment born from the nationalization of a british consortium that manufactured Whitehead torpedoes. It is now a part of the French Naval Group company.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
What a lovely find and in excellent condition also! Where were they found? In France, or USA bring-backs?

·
Super Moderator
10,996 Posts
Nice find GFL!

That's a very nice small grouping in beautiful condition. To place your Mle 1884 Kepi in proper context, here is a series of photos of my "Poilu" display circa 1914 in the opening months of the war.

Enjoy!

1 - French 18th Regt Met Inf 1914 - 1.jpg 12 - French 18th Regt Met Inf 1914 - 12.jpg 9 - French 18th Regt Met Inf 1914 - 9R1.jpg

French 18th Metropolitan Infantry c 1914 075.jpg French 18th Metropolitan Infantry c 1914 085.jpg French 18th Metropolitan Infantry c 1914 107.jpg

French 18th Metropolitan Infantry c 1914 120.jpg French 18th Metropolitan Infantry c 1914 137.jpg 12 - French 18th Regt Met Inf 1914 - 13.jpg

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts