Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked at a set of 5 rifles today that a friend of a friend inherited. All with slight surface corrosion that would clean off. Offered $300 for group, figuring $100 for the scoped Mossberg and $50 each for the others. Will know in a day or so if offer was accepted, so I could still back out. Need some insight on a couple:

1) Argy 1891, all matching including stock. Would clean up nicely. Blued except for bolt. Crest scrubbed off of blue finish. Bad news is that it appears that about 2 inches were trimmed off the the nose of the stock and missing front band/lug. Figuring the 1891 would clean up and be worth a bit more.

2) Carcano carbine, maybe M91, Gardone, complete except for bayonet. Needs cleanup. Figuring it's worth $50 before and after cleaning. 8 )

3) Mossberg M44US(b) non US marked but complete except for mag. Also had Mossberg marked scope mount and Mossberg marked scope. Should be worth $200+ after cleanup.

4) Remington (as I recall) bolt-action, tube fed .22, complete, needs cleaning.

5) One other Mossberg bolt action .22, not M44.

I will admit to enjoying cleaning up neglected firearms, but is this rational?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
If it is something that you enjoy, then indulge yourself! If they were all milsurps then I would jump in with both feet. But the mix of rifles that you describe is not "my cup of tea" so, personally, I would spend my $300 elsewhere. Enjoy the journey!!! :)

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses to my vague question. I figured posting my thoughts here was probably better than sitting in my office talking to myself, although some of you who know me would consider that reasonable behavior. I can usually break even on these deals and enjoy bringing back a dirty, but functional rifle. Kenb, you are too right about the parts issue.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds well worth the money to me, but as you know I'll buy anything on the basis of "intrinsic value". :D

I have my own 91 Argy and Carcano Cavalry Carbines that are near matches to what you have, but missing other parts. Each was $60, so even the price was close.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.