Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've spotted an Egyptian Maadi AK (post ban) with laminated furniture and Dragunov stock at a local shop.

I've read these were made on Russian machinery and are the closest thing we can get to a real AK. Is there any truth to this?

I know there are quite a few members that live and breathe everything AK so I'm interested in your opinions on just how good or bad this gun might be. They are asking $495.00.

Any information is appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if these receivers are 1 or 1.5mm thickness?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The Egyptian Maadis are decent rifles. There's a pre-ban version which is quite expensive and the fit-to-finish is very good. Then, there's the post-ban versions which, in the case of some ARM's, are essentially very similar to the pre-ban versions but were neutered (bayonet lug/muzzle cap tack welded/thumbhole buttstock).

The whole "as close to a Russian AKM as you can get" is gauged differently by folks. The facts are basically that the very early Egyptian Maadi rifles consisted of some Russian parts. As time went on, they received tooling and machinery to manufacture their own. Russian AKM's went through a few eras of aesthetic styles (with the dimple pattern, front sight base pattern, etc.). The Egyptian Maadis were essentially mid-era pattern Russian AKM clones, minus the obvious little nuances such as the markings and furniture.

Getting to your prospective post-ban rifle - it's hard to judge the price if the exact model isn't known. "Post ban" isn't quite enough regarding these rifles.

* If it's an "ARM," then the price sounds pretty decent. Usually there's a muzzle cap tack welded to the barrel which is hiding a threaded muzzle. Also, some folks either throw some weld on the neutered bas block to build of the bayonet lug or switch it out to a military one. Additionally, the wood thumbhole buttstock can be swapped out for a military one. Good base for making a Russian AKM clone or the like. One could say the quality of finish is also decent but noticeably "Egyptian" in that it's not exactly perfect. The "RML" with the standard AKM barrel would also fall into this category, I think.

* If it's a "MISR-10," the price is a bit high. Usually the muzzle has been turned down to such a degree that it won't thread to a standard AK pitch again - just too thin. So, some folks do a different pitch to enable it to facilitate other types of flash hiders or even an adapter that will allow for a standard muzzle nut or flash hider. Also, the neutered lug on the gas block is evident. Also decent base for a Russian AKM clone but the very thin muzzle was always a nagging point for me in those projects. Finish quality could be rated at satisfactory to almost poor at times.

* If it's a "MISR-90," I'd personally say the price is way too much. The MISR-90 is Century's answer to the question - "What would you get if you mixed a Chinese Type 56 rifle with an Egyptian Maadi rifle." Basically, the rifle has Chinese parts on the Egyptian Maadi receiver. Very noticeable difference from the typical Maadi. Undoubtedly many people own these rifles and like them, but they're just a bit of a "mutt" if you're wanting to have something with a representative look.

Here's some reading up on these for you:

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_4.htm
http://www.ak-47.us/Egypt.php

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply rayman1! I guess I will probably wait and eventually get something from the Arsenal of Bulgaria line.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
could you tell us what is stamped on the sides of the receiver?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
thank you rayman1. I have been looking at the Maddis on GB and was not sure what I was looking at. it is what it is a "ratty maddi" but I have been into AK collecting and clones as of late so I am in need of one.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
again, could you state the importer or any other markings on the reciever of the maadi you looked at?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Don't be too quick to dismiss the Egyptian Maadi. The ARM variants make great Russian clones. We used to use them for that purpose back before there were such options for things such as receivers and kits.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
it is what it is a "ratty maddi" but I have been into AK collecting and clones as of late so I am in need of one.

the post ban MAADIs were "ratty" even when new. I bought a NIB ARM in 95, the finish looked as if omar spray painted the thing in a sandstorm, finish also had some chips. but hey, for 190 bucks nothing a little refinishing wouldn't fix. at the time it was cheaper then the chinese MAK-90s.

I dressed it in soviet furniture , dremeled off the tack welded muzzle nut, screwed on a slant brake, viola soviet AKM clone.

I liked it so much, that I shelled out a whole 220 bucks for a RPM, dressed in soviet RPK furniture and made a RPK wannabe out of it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Maadi by PARS Intl

I have a Maadi, walked into the gun shop as some woman was selling it to the shop. When I asked what it was, I was told it was my next gun...$225 out the door; 1-30 rd mag, 1-5 round mag, owner's manual, Hungarian sling:

looks darn good to me - I'll shoot it this week or next

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a Maadi, walked into the gun shop as some woman was selling it to the shop. When I asked what it was, I was told it was my next gun...$225 out the door; 1-30 rd mag,.......
Nice rifle, it's interesting to see another one to compare markings. At first I thought a few of them were really bad scratches but upon closer inspection they turned out to be markings of some type, your rifle appears nearly identical to mine.

How recently did you buy it? Coincidentally I also paid $225 for mine about two years ago, didn't know much about them at the time but figured it couldn't be all that bad for the money.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
nice rifle, CWO4, i have a PARS just like it, i took the thumbhole stock off. AGAIN,AGAIN....KURZ...... what were the markings/importer of the maadi you looked at. we may be able to help you.......... anybody in there?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree nice rifle CWO4. thats what I am looking to do also, unban a maadi. spelled it right this time. I coined the phrase "ratty maadi" a few years ago when my local dealer had one on consignment for way more then it was worth, now I wish I'd bought it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have a Maadi, walked into the gun shop as some woman was selling it to the shop. When I asked what it was, I was told it was my next gun...$225 out the door; 1-30 rd mag, 1-5 round mag, owner's manual, Hungarian sling:

looks darn good to me - I'll shoot it this week or next
Hah, i walked into a pawn and spotted a Maadi, flipped it on the side and saw PARS, went home broght them a WASR 10 and traded even. Converted it to pistol grip and 922r compliant. Now just need to tap it for 1/2 x 28 already have the slant brake.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could you tell us what is stamped on the sides of the receiver?
lol... Been a while since checking the thread. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what's stamped on the receiver. I only picked it up once briefly and haven't been back since.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I just picked up a de-banned ARM on the AK Forum for $530.00 shipped. It should be here early next week.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts