Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested in hearing pros and cons for the Buffalo Bore 115 gr hard cast flat nose cartridge for self defense. thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For those who believe that penetration is the most important thing in a caliber like the 9mm Mak, the BB load should work great, and it may be a little more effective than an FMJ due to the flat nose. As for me, I carry the old CorBon 95 grain +P JHPs and when they are gone, will switch to the BB JHP load. The only downside to the BB 115 grain loading I can think of would probably be that it would be hard on the gun. I would switch to a heavier recoil spring.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
BB works exactly as advertised, so if you want a load which performs exactly as they advertise it to, that is a good choice. It wuld be my choice for cold weather use where penetration thru winter clothing is a must.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use the heaviest recoil spring wolff offers as well as strong mag springs. Its also quite a bit easier to manage with pearce grips over the thinner standard grips. Its a great round though. Not sure how it compares with the russian hot loaded 9x18 they use as I havnt seen the info on that round. Its definitely well past the standard 380 level stuff thats on the market though. The old 109grain wolf was pretty good stuff too. wish they would bring that stuff back as it was a pretty decent Mak round and nowhere near as expensive as BB. the BB is a nice option for a carry round though if you want a little more Umph. I think the original design Maks can handle it. I wouldn't shoot it in any other versions though.

·
Super Moderator
6,321 Posts
I also own 6-shooters in .45 Colt and if you load for these you become familiar with Elmer Keith's work designing bullets. Old Elmer was quite the mass murderer of animals of all stripe, from eagles to antelopes, using handguns. And he studied wound patterns and accuracy of different bullet designs.

His books detailing his work are interesting reads. Elmer settled on flat nose hard cast bullets with large meplats - I think a meplat of 70% of the bullet diameter was what he determined for the best design in long distance accuracy, clean holes through paper, and ultimate knock down power.

I don't know how well his work translates to 9x18 as I haven't done the research. But I've never convinced myself that HP is a universal solution for this moderately powerful caliber, and Elmer convinced me that roundnose may have disadvantages.

In short I'm a big fan of those Buffalo Bore 115-gr flat point hard cast bullets. And I think Tim Sundles, the owner of the company, is a stand-up guy who posts accurate data on his cartridge performances. My chrony data matches BB's velocity claims. Tim provided a good write up on those rounds on his web site. And he used the Makarov to test with, not a longer barreled test apparatus like most cartridge manufacturers.

The down side to the round is the heavy recoil and the price. It's expensive to shoot enough of these to get comfortable with the load. But for self defense it's my choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts