Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of them? I've read that they are one of the finest 9mm pistols ever made. How many of you guy have them. How many have compared them to a Beretta 92F? Generally, what do you guys think of them? I see them for high dollar over at Gunbroker but I never see them sell either. What is a realistic price for one?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The P88 was a really nice gun, but was "overtaken by events" when so many OTHER really nice 9mm's hit the market.

The problem was, the Walther P88 was outrageously expensive, and didn't have enough to offer to justify the price.
Worse, back when the P88 was being imported, a new magazine cost $75.00!!!!!!!
THAT was simply out of line when you could by a new S&W 16 round mag for $15.00.

Today, the P88 is more a high dollar collectors or "gun snob" model.
It's "probably" not really any better than the Beretta.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEHE gunsnobs.....Idiotas.....HEHE. P88's are collectible? That surprises me. As I said, I see them on Gunbroker for major amounts but how many actually sell? I ask about them because I know a guy who has one near new (maybe 100 rounds through it) and he wants 800. The trigger really is SCHWEET. Better than my Beretta but not so much that it matters. I like the fact that it is fully ambidexterous because I shoot pistols left handed. How many were made? This is the only one I have ever seen for sale other than on GB.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
eh, it may be great, but not for that much. If the trigger is really no better then my m9, then they can keep it. I am no gun snob, I own many 'cheap' guns. It would be cool, but just not for that much. Expensive does not quality make.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It IS VERY EXPENSIVE. However, I have owned and shot many pistols and I DO have to say that this thing is slick and smooth beyond anything I have ever held. I thought my P5 was Schweet but not compared to the P88. Even the double action, while long, is relatively light and dead even through the whole pull. Of course, with no manual safety, I would expect the pull to be long. I have shot pistols with the single action pull harder than the double on this one. Also, controls are in the perfect place and equally useable with either hand. Lockup is perfect with no movement of parts anywhere. Fit and finish is closer art than it is weaponry. I bought it.....it's only paper with green ink on it anyways. If reliability is as good as everything else about it is, it will eventually replace the Beretta beside the bed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are right! But in this case quality make it expensive.
The frame is made of a special lightweight alloy who is finished with a layer of N-HE aluminum oxide of ~1200 HV hardness.

The P88 was designed as a military service pistol who had to take the 9mm x 19 DM51, a round with +P or +P+ like pressures of 3000bar, so the P88 can feed with sub machine gun ammo (minimum 10,000 rounds without failures and excellent accuracy with this ammo following the technical guidelines for this pistol).
Service life and quaility exceeded nowdays by the CZ p-01 at less than half the price...

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I tend to think that my beretta, which cost me 500, will outlive me. I won't shoot ANYTHING +p out of it, capeable or not, because I don't need to. Where do you find ammo loaded that hot? Either you load it yourself......?
I still contend that if I put a price tag of, say, 800 dollars on what comes out of me, at the bad end, someone would buy it. Especially if I said that it was +p stuff. Then again, I could put a blue light special on it, and then everyone would want it. Or I could claim is was super rare, and really hardy stuff, and then everyone would want it. Then again, for the glock folks, I could garuntee that its rust free, and submerge it in water, and then they too would want it.....or advertise that it could be put in the dishwasher, and then they'd want it even more.

I am joking of coarse, but I just don't get it. I am sure its a nice firearm, but I am too practical to spend that kind of money on something like that.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I would say that for service life and strength, sub-gun ammo and the like, a tokarev is....man, how much cheaper? They still dig up examples of them in europe that still fire after being buried for 60 years. Thats ervice life and quality. Sure beats the whole glock thing of 'it can fire underwater!'.....
Ha, just my opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spend some time in the Czech Republic and in Germany, study market prices and wages.
Welcome in the real world!

How many CZ P-01 are around? P88 circa 10,000.
I was speaking of US prices..When the P88 was out, it was almost $1000. It was a poor seller, because it cost more than it was worth. The cost was due to the USD & DM at that time.

The P-01 is a fine, well tested pistol and will for sure exceed 10,000 units is a short period of time. It would be even cheaper if the USD was not in the crapper now. I have owned a P88, & a P-01, as well as a P88c and a P5. Other than having the fine(?) Walther name, it does not bring anything more to the party than does a P-01, or for that matter, a Beretta 92, or even a surplus Sig P6.

When P88's were in the market place, German guns were far more pricey than any other brands, and in some mis guided minds, an outragiously high price makes it the better gun. Sometimes, it's just world economics rather than quality...
I live in the real world, and most of the time, it sucks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
My only point is that when the P88 was availible in our market as a new gun, it was too expensive. Other gun, which were good guns, cost far less. It was at that time due to value of the US Dollar. It is a fine pistol, just not worth the amount being asked for them. My other point is just that other guns in todays market, given 20 years of improved technology, has allowed guns to be on market now equal to 20 year old design. I bought my P88's in recent years while working in gun store & could buy at cost of the used guns and made price much lower for me. I enjoyed them, but new, they cost too much, regardless where they were made.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Brian, I've been on the fence for a lot of years now as to whether I want to buy a full size P88 or not. About 20 yrs ago I owned a P88C. When you pulled the slide back, it was a quality sound like you've never heard. Buttery smooth like so many things sporting the Walther banner (including that gorgeous PPK/S you sold me!). Another smooth Walther is the P5 which I bought NIB in the early 90s. But back to the P88C.... It truly was a great pistol, handled well and pointed great but I loss interest in it because it only had a 10 rd mag and 14 rounders were verboten. Maybe someday a P88 will find its way here. To be honest, the only reason I have not bought one is that I've read more than once that Walther made "improvements" on it in the few short years that it was in production because it had a habit of cracking frames due to a weak area around the takedown lever IIRC. Whether they actually rectified it, I do not know. Our good friend mischaco has a youtube video on the P88 and I believe he makes mention of this. That is one guy who knows his shit regarding guns in general and whose judgement can be trusted. Do a search and see if you can find that video.
On another note as far as alloy framed semi auto pistols goes, the Beretta 92FS is probably the one I'd have the most faith in. I love mine which Josh at Allegheny Gun Works in Pittsburgh, PA customized. There is a thread at beretta.net in which people have posted how many 10s of 1000s of rounds they have put through their 92s. The Beretta is a hard one to beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts