Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I received the 91/30 PU that I ordered from Classic Arms. The rifle appears to be outstanding in all regards, a 1944 Izhevsk with a 1944 dated Yoshkar Ola scope with a very nice shiney bore. The only issue I detected was when the scope and mounting bracket are attached to the rifle they have a fairly pronounced lean to the right (see poor quality attached image). I initially thought that perhaps the scope had moved in the rings, but this does not appear to be the case as the witness line on the mount and scope are still in alignment. I noticed that both mounting pads seem to been ground rather heavily in the past, I would assume during rebuild, when scope and mount were mated to the rifle. If that is indeed the case, why would the fitment be so poor, especially since scope number matches the mount and the mount number matches the rifle?

In no way am I unhappy with Classic Arms, as I believe they sent me a very nice, accurately described rifle, and this potential issue would not have been noticed by them prior to sale as the scope was undisturbed in its packaging from Russia. That being said, should I ask if it is possible to exchange it or is there a way I can get this fixed? I am somewhat not wild about exchanging it, as I have no guarantee the next one will be as nice.

Thank you for your help and opinions!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Do a quick bore sight and see if it's dialed in. Since the mount is EP matched to the rifle, I am guessing that it's dead on. If it is dead on, then it was properly set up by a Soviet armorer and there is nothing to fix. Sometimes the scope mounts are canted to one way or the other. It's not ideal but they still shoot to POA. I am sure that Classic would exchange it or at least give you a refund, but I would keep it assuming it is up to snuff.

Read the article in the middle of the page "Fine Tuning Of The PU Scope". It helped me out when I was new to PU snipers.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

·
Registered
131 Posts
my PU from classic has the same thing. I've cleaned it up but will be a few weeks before I can get it to the range. I've been wondering the same thing and would be interested on a range report if you get yours out to the range before I do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the reply and information, I really appreciate it! I understand your point in regards to it being set up by a Soviet Armorer that it should be spot on and acceptable. But it seems to me that the amount of "cant" that the mount and consequently the reticle exhibit (my picture does not capture it sufficiently, I will try another if needed) are rather excessive, to the point that as it sits as shown the horizontal bars are at sitting easily at a 10 and 4 o'clock position when viewed, and perhaps a bit more. I will admit it has been a number of years since I last owned a PU equipped Mosin- maybe I am missing something in regards to mounting the scope (as simple as it seems to be)?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
It's a common condition on PUs. The cant of the reticle will effectively cancel out the cant of the scope mount. In other words, if you hold the reticle horizontal, the rifle itself will be tilted a bit, but the scope will be directly over the bore centerline.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the information and advice Gentlemen, I really appreciate it! Based on what you all have stated and presented, I have decided to keep the rifle as it seems to meet original Soviet military spec in regards to the scope cant. It appears I will have to adopt a somewhat unconventional hold on the rifle to maximize the accuracy potential however :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
think you might have something good here; can you make a close up pic of the barrel shank with the scope number, plus floor plate, bolt- and buttplate numbers?? Pic is not really clear, but you might have one with the original scope to the rifle...

·
Registered
19,313 Posts
Endless foreplay ... take her to the range and find out if she shoots like a sniper rifle or not.

If so, do nothing and shoot more ammo

If not: ........you a collector or a shooter? Take the fork in the road in regards to keeping it / selling it !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts