Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
Don't know about the Krug, but the town of Regensburg is about an hour from Munich by train. I went there to buy my Opel Manta, since cars are cheaper in outlying areas than buying within the big city. Although a nearby Messerschmidt factory was bombed during the war, the town of Regensburg itself escaped allied bombing, so the 11th century architecture is all original & not reconstructed. There are still remnants of Roman settlement to be seen around town &the area has been settled since prehistoric times. A friend living there had an older apartment with hand hewn beams & flooring. The window glass was original & wavy to look thru.

Bauscher Weiden is a well known porcelain producer to this day, and the stamp on the bottom indicates they were the decorating factory.

Not sure of the significance of the date range of October 24, 1938 to Jan 21 1939 indicates.

Turn & Taxis is a local brewery there.

Thurn & Taxis.jpg

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,174 Posts
That would be the period he served in that unit.

Regards,
Bill
Must have been a quite memorable 3 months to commemorate in porcelain ...

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,453 Posts
I guess if you can't collect a patch from each unit you served in, then you have to collect a stein.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love Germany. Just came back about three weeks ago. Very friendly people and clean towns. Love their beer! Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Thats a great Stein...a "Rememberence" Mug...considering the short period, he was either discharged early somehow, or its from a training stint...since it is only from 24 October 38 to 21 January 39...

He as attached to the 15th (Schwere) Infantrie Geschutz Kompanie, Infantrie Regiment 20....thats a SIG 33 (IIRC) Schwere Infantrie Geschutz in the background (Heavy Infantry Gun, a 15cm gun)....they provided organic fire support for the Regiment. (Looking again, that may be an older WWI type Morser instead of a SIG 33, its kind of hard to tell)

IR 20 was part of the 10th Infantry Division, homebased in Regensburg...here is more info on it...http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=10

I am going to second guess myself again, I that may be an "E" after the 15, if so then it would the the 15th Ersatz, or replacement kompanie, which would be a training company for the infantry gun company...which would explain the short time period, probably a reservist doing training...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks pzjgr! I can always count on you guys for information. This is a great Site and again I can't thank you all enough. Best wishes to you all. Now I have to hunker down for a nor'easter.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
He as attached to the 15th (Schwere) Infantrie Geschutz Kompanie, Infantrie Regiment 20....thats a SIG 33 (IIRC) Schwere Infantrie Geschutz in the background (Heavy Infantry Gun, a 15cm gun)....they provided organic fire support for the Regiment. (Looking again, that may be an older WWI type Morser instead of a SIG 33, its kind of hard to tell)
pzjgr is on the right track as far as the Regiment and Division. But that's not a sIG 33. It actually appears to be a WW1-era 25cm Schwerer Minenwerfer (heavy mortar). They may have either still been using the older mortar for training the in late 30s, or perhaps the stein maker simply used it in the painting as a stand-in for a generic artillery piece.

Judging by this photo, they were still in use with the German military through at least the late 20s:

And the "E" designation was not for "Ersatz", since the Ersatzheer (Replacement Army) wasn't established until late 1939. Rather, it was for "Ergänzungs", which was the pre-war term for a replacement/training unit. (Later, during the war, the terms "Ersatz" and "Ausbildungs" become more commonly used for training/replacement units.)

So the owner of the stein was and a member of the 15. Ergänzungs-IG-Kompanie of the Ergänzungs-Bataillon of Infanterie-Regiment 20. He was likely a reservist.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
screen-capture.jpg Hi Vid, here's a photo of the base. I picked up one other Stein and here's a photo. Looks like the Mountain Division. The lid has a helmet stamped on top with a Swaztika.
screen-capture-1.jpg

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Yep. The second stein is for a member of a machine gun company from one of the Gebirgsjager Regiments. (Unfortunately, the unit number is obscured.)

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
The only unit from Gebirgsjäger Regiment 137 that was based in Saalfelden was the Training Battalion, similar to the previous stein. The owner was likely a reservist member of the 4. (Ergänzungs) MG Kompanie of the Ergänzungs Bataillon of Gebirgsjäger Regiment 137.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
And the Gebirgsjager are using an MG 08...interesting both steins show WWI weapons in use even in 1939...although since they are reservists, that could be what they had for training...

ETA...They both look good at least from the pics...the hakenkreuz is telling too, they make modern repros, but made in Germany they'd never have the hakenkreuz on them...Beautiful steins for sure! I collect steins too, but only have a few military (my grandfather brought a few back with him after the war, and then would buy one every once in a while at Englishtown Auction in NJ...when he died, they all went to me...). The one I wish I still had was a Konigsmarine stein for the SMS Hohenzollern, the Royal Yacht....I have a neat one for a Reiter Regt, but its missing its lid...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts