Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

I am looking at my first M1903. Up front, I don't like "restored" rifles, I like them with dents, warts, mixed parts as they would most likely be coming from an arsenal rebuild but I don't want to pay "pristine" prices for a rebuild either. I am reading Joe Poyer's book and looking here and at M1903.com but feedback is appreciated. I talked them to Sub-$700. Here are the key points I can say and perhaps the photos will provide more info.

Springfield SN: 1327973 (1930 if I'm correct)

RA 12-42 barrel

RIA straight stock marked with RA on the front, circle P on the grip, an "AA" inspector cartouche stamped over another that is hard to read but ends in D. On the top spine is marked 4G203. Painted rack number on the side that appears to match the 4G203. Uncheckered buttplate with door. Dual bolt.

I have to go back and look at the handguard to see what type it is.

swept bolt with a "ping" mark under handle root.

The rear sight appears to be a type 7 sight but the slider bar is bent/cracked.

The bore isn't bad, isn't great.

Any thoughts on this rifle and if the asking price is fair. If there are any other pictures I can take that would help clarify, please let me know I'll take them.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree with Mike. A bit too rough for $700. I frequently see similar rifles go for 4-450$. If you're just looking for a shooter there are much nicer/cheaper options out there. If you are looking for a collectable there are much nicer/cheaper options out there. There's nothing wrong with used rifles, but this one looks more on the abused side.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Would have to concur on the "too rough for that kind of Money" opinion. I would keep looking. Finish looks pretty tough for a $700 rifle, I would guess bore is similar. Broken sight will be an issue too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Mike. A bit too rough for $700. I frequently see similar rifles go for 4-450$. If you're just looking for a shooter there are much nicer/cheaper options out there. If you are looking for a collectable there are much nicer/cheaper options out there. There's nothing wrong with used rifles, but this one looks more on the abused side.
Lancer, thank you. I appreciate all the feedback because sometimes I feel like an oddball for not wanting pristine collectors grade weapons but as you well put it there is a difference between well used and abused. Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lancer, thank you. I appreciate all the feedback because sometimes I feel like an oddball for not wanting pristine collectors grade weapons but as you well put it there is a difference between well used and abused. Thanks!
No problem! I happen to have the same opinion. Mint items have no character, and usually cost a lot more than examples that show use. My collection is full of used examples...

·
1,696 Posts
I just bought one a Remington made in 42 with a 42 barrel. I will pull it out and take pictures/ get more info if you want, but I found it off of the Gunboards by posting on the Want To Trade section. It was I believe about $450. It is aesthetically about like yours, but the bore is very good. With the 1903 sights I haven't tried shooting it past 100 yards but it groups very well. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought one a Remington made in 42 with a 42 barrel. I will pull it out and take pictures/ get more info if you want, but I found it off of the Gunboards by posting on the Want To Trade section. It was I believe about $450. It is aesthetically about like yours, but the bore is very good. With the 1903 sights I haven't tried shooting it past 100 yards but it groups very well. I hope that helps.
Definitely helpful, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
parts gun, built up by someone other then the military. SHT bolt that would have to be changed out to be safe,
parts are worth what the asking price is,
however, if your looking for an original rifle, this aint it..

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. You saved me on a bad decision.

A coworker has a Mk1 he would be willing to sell but I have to get smarter on it. It looks pristine or possibly rebuilt, but I don't have many photos. No idea how much he would want for it, but I suspect out of my price range.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts