Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i realize that my state is already non-gun friendly so i didn't expect much. about 40% of the show was junk dealers (denim purses made from old blue jeans, air-soft guns, toy helicopters, etc...), about 10% of the show was just beef jerky and other semi-gun-related stuff (custom ear plugs, pepper spray and personal defence stuff, etc...), which left 50% as actual gun and gun related sellers (actual firearms, parts, slings, mags, etc...).

the show was a Saturday - Sunday event and i chose to go mid-day Saturday. as far as the firearm selection i can sum it up in one word: "modern". most of the firearms offered were modern pump action shotguns, pistols, and fancy looking rifles with scopes, flashlights, and lasers; not my particular cup of soup. the milsurps that i did manage to find were so ridiculously overpriced they made me wonder if the seller was completely insane and cut-off from the outside-of-California-world. most times a passing glance at the price tag was enough to send me in the other direction. there were two big dealers who had a lot of milsurps and their prices were outrageous. here are a few of examples that i actually bothered to look at:

-m1a Springfield rifles $7,800 - $3,500 in "service grade" condition

-1911a1s and Remington rands $4,000 - $3,500 in "battle worn" condition

-1 (that's right ONE) 1895 Nagant pistol $179 in good condition. i asked the seller about this one in particular and he freaked out when i tried to negotiate the price.

i did find a lot of parts for Garands, Carbines, and 1903s at fairly reasonable prices.

i picked up a m1905 bayonet and scabbard for my garand for $90 that was UFH dated 1943; and a savage marked spike bayonet for my Enfield with scabbard for $25. all in all i was somewhat disappointed with the firearm selection however i guess my finances couldn't complain. i did actually leave the show with money still in my pocket and that is always a plus, especially for me :D.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the show is the Crossroads of the West gunshow it is notorious for being a piece of crap. We lovingly refer to it as the Garage Sale of the West Gunshow. Every time the show comes back around here to SLC we have a local bakery that rents space and without a doubt does the most business of any table at the show. I like guns and I like delicious bread, but to see them selling side by side with no one at the gun table is a bit surreal. I did score a Bubba'd M28 once for $100, so occasionally a milsurp will sneak into the mix of deer rifles and AR's. I used to get miffed at the gun prices, but that's turned into pure apathy. I mostly buy my stuff online anyway, so I just go for something to do. I usually meet up with friends as soon as the doors open, BS about guns until the parade of baby strollers and screaming kids start showing up, then we all head out for Mexican food and Tecate's.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
"...Crossroads of the West gunshow it is notorious for being a piece of crap... "

Yeah, I agree. All I ever got because of going to Crossroads shows was a excellent "Model 1939" (M28-30 1939) for $180, a "Russian M91" (Puolustuslaitos-marked NEW in a German property marked stock) for $89, and a "Russian M91/30" (100% original Russian matching 1936 Tula SA-marked, with the bayo and Finn scabbard tossed in as an afterthought), for a little over $100.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"...Crossroads of the West gunshow it is notorious for being a piece of crap... "

Yeah, I agree. All I ever got because of going to Crossroads shows was a excellent "Model 1939" (M28-30 1939) for $180, a "Russian M91" (Puolustuslaitos-marked NEW in a German property marked stock) for $89, and a "Russian M91/30" (100% original Russian matching 1936 Tula SA-marked, with the bayo and Finn scabbard tossed in as an afterthought), for a little over $100.
Damn, you scored some beauties. I'll bet that I haven't seen 5 Finn rifles in 5 years at this show and that's all I look for. Apparantly you've done quite well.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Almost all the shows in Northern and Central CA are "Crossroads of the West" or "Code of the West" shows it seems. It sucks to pay $20 to park and enter the show just to find a bunch of toy bb guns, jerky, jewlry, coins, etc. The milsurps I do see at these shows are usually $250 M-44s, $300 Enfields full of rust and dirt, $1000 Hakim, $1600 SVT, etc. The same rifles show time and time again because they never sell. Although as a whole these shows are absolutely terrible, I've actually made out ok a couple of times. ($350 matching, mint No.5 Mk1 Enfield, $150 matching, mum'd, mint Arisaka T99.)

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
This will make you sick. About two years ago before I got hot and heavy into Mosins, I was a "Crossroads of the West" show in Orange County, CA. and spotted a really strange 91/30 sitting on a dealers table. I picked it up and asked the guy behind the table what it was. He said he didn't have a clue.

It was a 91/30 with a Mauser type bayonet lug. I looked at it and I thought, "Wow, $150.00 for a Bubba 91/30? No way!". I put it back on the table and kept walking.

About six months later I saw a picture of the same rifle on the Internet. I was holding a Simonov 91/30 Trails Rifle.

After I finished throwing up onto my keyboard, I went on a drinking binge for 3 days.....

It really helps to study and read as many books as possible before you head out to a show. I learned the hard way......

Sad and depressed, ARG

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i failed to mention that i did see a 1917 US enfield but i didn't ask how much. i was on the hunt for another pistol and my brain didn't catch that one. my luck it was probably a deal.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
67,744 Posts
This will make you sick. About two years ago before I got hot and heavy into Mosins, I was a "Crossroads of the West" show in Orange County, CA. and spotted a really strange 91/30 sitting on a dealers table. I picked it up and asked the guy behind the table what it was. He said he didn't have a clue.

It was a 91/30 with a Mauser type bayonet lug. I looked at it and I thought, "Wow, $150.00 for a Bubba 91/30? No way!". I put it back on the table and kept walking.

About six months later I saw a picture of the same rifle on the Internet. I was holding a Simonov 91/30 Trails Rifle.

After I finished throwing up onto my keyboard, I went on a drinking binge for 3 days.....

It really helps to study and read as many books as possible before you head out to a show. I learned the hard way......

Sad and depressed, ARG

Money invested in firearm books can be money well spent. I picked up a Radom pistol about 2 years ago at a gun show in Louisville. I was behind a guy who said (to the dealer) "I'll check back and if it does not sell, perhaps we can work a deal." (This was about 2 hours into the show.) I looked at it and offered 90% (10 discount) of what was being asked. The price would seem to be high to most people, especially when the pistol did not have any grips. (Later I purchased a junker off of GB and used those grips.) .

Yet the pistol is worth at least 3 times what I paid for it.

If it were not for an Still's book -- "Axis Pistols" I would have passed this one by. Seems like there are less than 6 of this version known.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts