Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two arrived at my house today. Though one of the sellers is not even a member here, I need to thank him. And to Sgt Lamb - you need a better camera. What a nice rifle. The two rifles almost match. As far as condition goes, they match exactly.

The 91-30 is a Finn capture 1938 Tula. The m1891 is a B Barrel 1942 of course. Both have the tags. The one on the 91-30 has no bullet hole in it. Does that mean they didn't fire it? I'm still amazed at how little money an unissued and unfired WWII main battle rifle can be had for. If these were Garands in this condition - $2-3K?

So here is my little selfie. Nobody around here except my sons appreciate them. Hopefully some of you will. For those that don't - my apologies. I tried to engage the counter guy at the LgS where I picked them up. He was bored to tears and rushed right into a conversation about Glocks - which of course bored me to tears, lol.

Wood Rust Lock Antique tool Latch
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plank Lumber

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Beatiful Rifles. The 1938 tula was most defiantly issued at one point. Reason way its so nice its a later Finnish refurb with a replaced stock and a Finnish blue job.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have clarified. Unissued since refurbed. I guess there is no such thing as an unissued Finn. But thank you for the information Spax. I always like being correected when I am wrong or unclear.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
no worries doby. I just can't stand the "never-been-fired" statements that some folks sometimes throw out. I agree; both have the appearance of never been issued since refurbishment.

The hang tangs for both make for a nice bonus.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bores on both are mirrors. I can see no evidence of having been fired on either since they were Finned.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Regardless.. especially the '38.. they have been fired. The never-been fired statement never makes sense to me. How were they sighted, checked out etc.. if they were not fired?

Not picking on you specifically doby; but the never-fired statement just happens to be a personal pet-peeve of mine. Just because its impossible to prove. I can agree with the unissued statment.. but to romanticize a rifle as never-being-fired is just wrong in my view. Heck even brand new firearms today (with computer guided manufacturing etc) are fired and tested at factory before boxed.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regardless.. especially the '38.. they have been fired. The never-been fired statement never makes sense to me. How were they sighted, checked out etc.. if they were not fired?

Not picking on you specifically doby; but the never-fired statement just happens to be a personal pet-peeve of mine. Just because its impossible to prove. I can agree with the unissued statment.. but to romanticize a rifle as never-being-fired is just wrong in my view. Heck even brand new firearms today (with computer guided manufacturing etc) are fired and tested at factory before boxed.
Are you mean or just lonely? You made your point,

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps not meant that way but it sure came off that way. I posted a couple of rifles that I was proud of. Sorry I apparently offended you with my post. I thanked you for the correction. Was that somehow not enough? The hang tag on the 91-30 is not perforated. Maybe the tester missed.

I used to work for USRA and I can assure you we rarely ever fired a rifle before it left the factory. Maybe that is one reason they are out of business lol.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Perhaps not meant that way but it sure came off that way. I posted a couple of rifles that I was proud of. Sorry I apparently offended you with my post. I thanked you for the correction. Was that somehow not enough? The hang tag on the 91-30 is not perforated. Maybe the tester missed.

I used to work for USRA and I can assure you we rarely ever fired a rifle before it left the factory. Maybe that is one reason they are out of business lol.
Doby,

You did not offend me. I sincerely hope i didn't offend you. My point was only to agree with you that they appear to be unissued; but to also say its impossible to know for certain if they were not fired here in the states or in finland after or during refurbishment. That was all i was trying say; apologies where necessary if it came out wrong. Communicating via text has always been in issue because emotion and tone are rarely translated, and because of this statements can be taken the wrong way.

All the best,

Spax.

PS-

Now get yourself an unissued m39 to complete the set if you havn't already :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doby,

You did not offend me. I sincerely hope i didn't offend you. My point was only to agree with you that they appear to be unissued; but to also say its impossible to know for certain if they were not fired here in the states or in finland after or during refurbishment. That was all i was trying say; apologies where necessary if it came out wrong. Communicating via text has always been in issue because emotion and tone are rarely translated, and because of this statements can be taken the wrong way.

All the best,

Spax.

PS-

Now get yourself an unissued m39 to complete the set if you havn't already :thumbsup:
LoL: Wood Water Rust Panorama Photography

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
I have a couple of unissued 1944 VKT m39s.. they are stunning. Is yours a '44? Reason i ask; many unissued '39s seem to be from 1944.

On a side note; i didn't even know you had a m39.

You got a real buying spree going of late i can't keep track of your new acquisitions... hopefully you are taking the wife out to many a dinner as a distraction or have found a new hiding place for them

I guess thats why its called mosinities.
:laugh:

PS-

Keep an eye out for a polish m44 if you havn't got one yet...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fortunately she is an enabler. I am lucky to have 33 of them as of today. Only 6 are unissued. about half are NRA excellent or better. The rest are just cool and have "character and history". You may have noticed I have also been selling arms here. The net is about the same. Just different guns on the walls. In my opinion, much more interesting ones. I am sure most here will agree.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
I am a sucker for the ones with the "look"

Its probably the reason i sold an unissued Finnish m91 Westinghouse 1915 and kept the one with the stock splice and the worn finish. I am a sucker for the -ive been there and done that- look.

But in saying that.. those two rifles you posted.. well i wouldn't kick them out of the rack. Especially the m91 b Barrel, they are not overly common.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.