Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You walk into a shop, not knowing if they carry any firearms. You ask and the owner says “I have one old military rifle taking up space in the back, I’ll let it go for $150”

He walks out holding a _________________________ what?
What Mauser would you choose to fill in the blank? Only one.

OK, one Mauser and ONE anything else military rifle. Just one.

One Mauser - Mine would be an honest-to-God WWI Gewehr98 sniper rifle. All matching.

One Rifle – mine would be a Brown Bess, the earlier the better.

Bonus points if you can provide a pic of someone else’s ‘One’.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
one Mauser- An as issued Slovak Republic VZ24.

one other rifle- A Thai type 66 (The one based off the type 38 arisaka, not the converted type 45).

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,336 Posts
A Paraguay 1907 Rifle in 7.65mm

Carcano M-38 TS in 7.35mm

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,910 Posts
All-matching 1924 Yugoslavian Chetnik 'assault rifle' in excellent condition with serial number matching bayonet.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
555 Posts
Close to my real story... driving through small town in 2000, see pawn shop with "GUNS" sign, walk in and it's full of sporting rifles and shotguns ... only two military - M44 Mosin Nagant and an old Mauser in great condition. It's $170, but he comes down to $150. Serial Nr. 24x, matching, fine bore, Weimar eagles, looks like a K98k, but I don't know what it is because there are no marks on top of the receiver ring, but there is "S/147" over "K" on the right side. Figure it's somewhere between WWI and WWII, and probably worth the $150, so buy it. Come home and check my BOTW, and now I know! One of these days will pull the stock and see if it's matching.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Mauser? It's a toss-up between a Czechoslovak Jelen Mauser trials rifle (circa 1921-1922) and an Austrian M30 (E300) trials rifle using the Mauser 1918 action.

Non-Mauser? The Lee Enfield rebuilt in Turkey to look like the Turkish M1908 cavalry carbine.
Regards,
John

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,752 Posts
Serbian Model 1884 Artillery Musketoon

I need the artillery variation plus the Model 80/07 conversion to 7x57mm to complete my Serbian Collection.

JPS

·
Diamond Member
4,292 Posts
Either a M1890 Turk or M1899 Serb in original fettle. Either one would do the job. The non-Mauser? Either a rod-bayonet '03 Springfield or a gas-trap Garand for $150 would do nicely.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
671 Posts
One Mauser: 1919 dated Suhl Consortium Gew. 98, preferably at least stock matching, but honestly for $150, there's very little I could pass up.
One Rifle: any Prussian musket that saw service in the army of Frederick the Great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts