Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Big Coulee, $700. for a weapon with an altered serial number is not a cheap shooter if Uncle Biden’s boys took notice.
ibmikey ----- I'm glad you read my post. Well a M1 Carbine with a altered serial number sure is not a collector's M1, as with anything that has been altered from its original condition. So if it isn't a collector's piece and is functional, then the only remaining classification it could be assigned would be a shooter if it is in shooting condition. If it isn't shootable then it should be classed as pieces, but could be made shootable with non-original pieces. As for a classification of "cheap shooter", when a 100% original M1 Carbine is in maybe 50 to 60% condition it could easily sell for $1k to $1.5k, I'd say $700 is pretty cheap for a shooter grade M1 Carbine in these crazy times. Of course all the above are just my opinions and you know what opinions are like, everybody has 'em.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
The altered serial number makes that rifle illegal!!
Run, don't walk away.
Condition doesn't matter, it's illegal. Price doesn't matter it's illegal.
Get caught with it and plan on serving time.
To me, the seller has big balls trying to sell a rifle with an obviously altered serial number on the web for all to see.
Wow, just wow. With my luck, ATF would be knocking on my door if I tried that.
JMHO
DaveL ------ What about my shooter luger with the original serial numbers xx'ed out and new serial numbers stamped over them ? Am I to expect the ATF to come beating my door down ?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
DaveL ----- I'm not looking for a contest either. I only mentioned my luger's original serial number had been defaced and another number applied in the same locations. You just mentioned "The altered serial number makes the rifle illegal" and my luger most definitely has altered serial numbers. You made no mention of other exceptions to that ATF rule. I'm sure all ATF agents have much more important assignments these days than to attempt to track down some old back woods hermit (as myself) holed up in the mountians of Montana because he has a weapon with the original serial number xx'ed out and a new number applied in its place. But who knows it could come to that kind of craziness someday if the demos have their way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts