Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
The altered serial number makes that rifle illegal!!
Run, don't walk away.
Condition doesn't matter, it's illegal. Price doesn't matter it's illegal.
Get caught with it and plan on serving time.
To me, the seller has big balls trying to sell a rifle with an obviously altered serial number on the web for all to see.
Wow, just wow. With my luck, ATF would be knocking on my door if I tried that.
JMHO

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not looking for a pissing contest here B C.
As you know, there's an exception to every rule.
Factory/rebuilt/captured/xxxed out serials like your Luger are an exception and you know it. This rifle is NOT one of those.
My post was just a warning pertaining to this rifles obviously defaced serial, that's been renumbered by whoever.
Obviously the ATFE are not spending time looking for defaced serial numbers actively. I'm sure they have better thing to do. But all it takes is one anti-gun person to alert them.
And as Lyman1903 said, there are ways to make a re-serial numbered gun legal again. But what about the illegality of selling and buying a defaced serial numbered gun? Just because you intend to legalize it, isn't it still possession of an illegal weapon by both the buyer and the seller? Doesn't it become an illegal gun the second the grinder hits the serial number and it stays that way for the rest of it's "life" until or unless someone applys for a new number and gets it?
If I'm wrong about this, please enlighten me. I'm more than willing to learn.
But until shown otherwise, I would still "run not walk" away from any defaced serial numbered guns. To me, these anti-gun days, it's just not worth the risk.

On a personal note, I've always thought most defaced serials were done because it was probably a stolen weapon. That would make them something that would be the last thing I would want to be part of or encourage by buying or selling one. And I realize that the defacer and the present owner may or may not be the same person. So, I'm not casting aspersions here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts