Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked a local firearms trader on line and found the neatest M1 Carbine with a long long story of the vet who used and brought it home from Viet Nam. Only $700 and Winchester marked on the receiver, Winchester
Auto part Automotive exterior Audio equipment Bumper Cable

clearly seen as the adjustable rear sight is on backwards. Also nicely displayed is the area where the original serial was ground off and five numbers stamped on top ( or perhaps only partially ground off hard to tell in photo) Coupled with the green stock and ventilated steel hand guard I can see where this was a ‘Nam’ bring back….

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It very well could be a Vietnam bring back. Just because some idiot destroyed it between then and now doesn’t mean it wasn’t.

I looked at an M1 Carbine a guy said his dad had brought home from WWII. He said it had the side folding stock which was what piqued my interest. When I saw it in person it had one of those cheap ram line (?) side folding stocks. I asked if it had originally had a folding stock, he said it did, but he replaced it because this was better.

So I guess my point is, just because they are idiots doesn’t mean they are liars.

Of course, they could be liars too.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My biggest takeaway from going to Tulsa for my first time this year was the dealer stories. Many a young lad was told completely false and regurgitated bull crap stories by the sellers. I even heard one dealer say you should not even shoot any milsurp rifle as they are obsolete and are unsafe.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Big Coulee, $700. for a weapon with an altered serial number is not a cheap shooter if Uncle Biden’s boys took notice.
ibmikey ----- I'm glad you read my post. Well a M1 Carbine with a altered serial number sure is not a collector's M1, as with anything that has been altered from its original condition. So if it isn't a collector's piece and is functional, then the only remaining classification it could be assigned would be a shooter if it is in shooting condition. If it isn't shootable then it should be classed as pieces, but could be made shootable with non-original pieces. As for a classification of "cheap shooter", when a 100% original M1 Carbine is in maybe 50 to 60% condition it could easily sell for $1k to $1.5k, I'd say $700 is pretty cheap for a shooter grade M1 Carbine in these crazy times. Of course all the above are just my opinions and you know what opinions are like, everybody has 'em.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The altered serial number makes that rifle illegal!!
Run, don't walk away.
Condition doesn't matter, it's illegal. Price doesn't matter it's illegal.
Get caught with it and plan on serving time.
To me, the seller has big balls trying to sell a rifle with an obviously altered serial number on the web for all to see.
Wow, just wow. With my luck, ATF would be knocking on my door if I tried that.
JMHO

·
Platinum Bullet Member
64,026 Posts
Run, don't walk away.
To me, the seller has big balls trying to sell a rifle with an obviously altered serial number on the web for all to see.
JMHO

I've sold several with altered serial numbers

bought cheap
note sent to ATF describing it (all were ground off, then renumbered) and sent a pic when asked,

then approved and sold,

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Run, don't walk away.
JMHO
DaveL ------ What about my shooter luger with the original serial numbers xx'ed out and new serial numbers stamped over them ? Am I to expect the ATF to come beating my door down ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not looking for a pissing contest here B C.
As you know, there's an exception to every rule.
Factory/rebuilt/captured/xxxed out serials like your Luger are an exception and you know it. This rifle is NOT one of those.
My post was just a warning pertaining to this rifles obviously defaced serial, that's been renumbered by whoever.
Obviously the ATFE are not spending time looking for defaced serial numbers actively. I'm sure they have better thing to do. But all it takes is one anti-gun person to alert them.
And as Lyman1903 said, there are ways to make a re-serial numbered gun legal again. But what about the illegality of selling and buying a defaced serial numbered gun? Just because you intend to legalize it, isn't it still possession of an illegal weapon by both the buyer and the seller? Doesn't it become an illegal gun the second the grinder hits the serial number and it stays that way for the rest of it's "life" until or unless someone applys for a new number and gets it?
If I'm wrong about this, please enlighten me. I'm more than willing to learn.
But until shown otherwise, I would still "run not walk" away from any defaced serial numbered guns. To me, these anti-gun days, it's just not worth the risk.

On a personal note, I've always thought most defaced serials were done because it was probably a stolen weapon. That would make them something that would be the last thing I would want to be part of or encourage by buying or selling one. And I realize that the defacer and the present owner may or may not be the same person. So, I'm not casting aspersions here.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
DaveL ----- I'm not looking for a contest either. I only mentioned my luger's original serial number had been defaced and another number applied in the same locations. You just mentioned "The altered serial number makes the rifle illegal" and my luger most definitely has altered serial numbers. You made no mention of other exceptions to that ATF rule. I'm sure all ATF agents have much more important assignments these days than to attempt to track down some old back woods hermit (as myself) holed up in the mountians of Montana because he has a weapon with the original serial number xx'ed out and a new number applied in its place. But who knows it could come to that kind of craziness someday if the demos have their way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts