Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently gotten my first K43 and consequently got into reading the history and facts about the gun. One of the big things I have noticed is that there was never any >10rd magazines produced for the K/G43. However, I have seen a multitude of wartime pictures of guys with suspiciously long magazines in their rifle. I have gathered that there is some way to jerry rig FJ42/ MG13 magazines to fit.
So the purpose of this thread is to get together info on all ways to get a magazine with a capacity of >10 for the K/G43. Whether it be a company making reproductions or a way to alter existing magazines of any type to fit the rifles.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
apparently they can be made/modify to fit

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
Way back in my younger days (some 40 + years ago now), I tried to get a MG13 magazine to fit my G43. I actually got it to fit in my rifle, but getting it to feed reliably completely eluded me.

It looked fabulous, though.

As I recall, the MG13 magazine is too short front-to-back to properly fit in the G43's magazine well. The solution I used for that was to fashion a steel spacer with the necessary 'front lug' on it, which I brazed to the front of the magazine. I don't recall much else about it.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
you never got it to feed reliably? could be that the feed lips are slightly different on the 13, which may have caused feeding issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing some of my own looking at the difference between my rifles magazine and the MG13 magazines I can't super see how the slightly different rear block of the follower would effect feeding, I'd imagine the issue would be the spring if anything. From the differences I noticed It looks like the operation could be done with a simple welder and angle grinder, but I will have to take measurements when I actually get a mag. They are suprisingly cheap, at only ~15 bucks on IMA.

Also, I have a bit of morbid curiosity as to how hard it is to find the 75 round drum mags for MG13s. That sounds like it would be a stupid, but fun thing to have for a G43.

·
Registered
227 Posts
zb26 mags work the best. i tried mg13s too much wiggle from side to side. only problem when we all bought the smg fg42s we bought up all the spare mags up. just a little silver brazing needed to relocate the locking stud on the mag spline and it was a very tight lockup in the g43

·
Registered
227 Posts
speaking of strange mags . i put togeather to 20 round schnellfeuer 712 mags used a mp40 spring and a tu711 follower also brazed a metal spacer on the inside to use with 9mm hold 30 rounds. seems to feed well. had to pay a visit to the er to have my thumb sticked back up .was trying to make a piece of wood the same size as the inside of the mag to try and reform after welding the mag walls back together with my table saw.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Also, I have a bit of morbid curiosity as to how hard it is to find the 75 round drum mags for MG13s. That sounds like it would be a stupid, but fun thing to have for a G43.
MG 13 drums are very hard to come by and if you find one it probably will be a lot more then 1,000 bucks.

I don't see why you can't attach a 43 mag to a MG15 drum, so that becomes a feed tower, as long as the drum uses the same caliber as the rifles it should work. you just have to be clever about doing it

that is what I did to a couple of my drums. I made a AK feed tower that attaches to 5.56 BETA drum and that puppy functioned perfectly in my Bulgarian SLR-106 AK (5.56). :giggle:

and made a 71 round drum for my MP5 using a cut down MP5 mag as a feed tower and a 9mm SUOMI drum, that one was a bit of a challenge because I had to put a spacer in the cut down MP5 mag (feed tower) to make it a single stack feed. but that works perfectly as well:giggle:

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
zb26 mags work the best. i tried mg13s too much wiggle from side to side. only problem when we all bought the smg fg42s we bought up all the spare mags up. just a little silver brazing needed to relocate the locking stud on the mag spline and it was a very tight lockup in the g43
Now that you mention it, I had that problem too, but as long as I had the torch and the brass rods out, I brazed 'pads' on the side of the magazine to take up most of the excess space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts