Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,800 Posts
Dad's twin was in the Marines. He was there when the island was captured, ashore the first day. Never talked about it. If he was asked what he'd done as a Marine in the Pacific, he said "I was just a truck driver". OK, Uncle buster, if you said so.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had three uncles who were in the Pacific and they would not talk about it either.

·
98,800 Posts
Dad (nor Uncle Al nor Uncle Bus) never did have a lot to say. I know that Dad and uncle Al were ashore with the Naval Base being built to support Coronet and Olympic. From the little they said, they didn't do a lot except build roads, supply pads, man AAA when it looked like there might be air action - and see what had happened when the ground forces cleared the island to get it ready for what they had to do. I gather it wasn't pleasant.

Uncle Joe was in the Battle of the Bulge, He never cared to talk about that - had something to say once in all the years i knew him from when I was old enough to recall things till he died forty years later. It was after i got back from Southeast Asia and I guess he felt like I might understand then... Sure wish I'd had a tape recorder in my pocket,

·
Platinum Bullet Member
5,828 Posts
Sledgehammers book pretty much says it all as far as describing the Pacific War. If you haven't read it I recomend it. "The Old Breed"

·
98,800 Posts
NOBODY with an interest in the experience of war should fail to have a copy of Eugene Sledge's WITH THE OLD BREED. JMO. You should also have a copy of George MacDonald Fraser's QUARTERED SAFE OUT HERE.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,803 Posts
My dad was in the 2nd Marine Division and also didn't have much to say until I came back from Vietnam, Clyde I guess we were one of the club after that. Unfortunately he came down with lung cancer while I was still at Fort Hood and died 6 weeks after they opened him up and found the cancer had spread too far to remove.

Semper Fi Dad!

39 years this November 1st and I still miss him.

·
98,800 Posts
Well. do you think you'd have understood BEFORE you went to have a look at the elephant? It's almost three years since we lot Mom and Dad in a week - but I figure IF i live another thirty, I'll still miss them.

A glass here, barkeep - in memory of Marine Neal of the Second MarDiv.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,803 Posts
Has it been that long Clyde? Some days it just seems like yesterday that you were posting about your loss of one then the other of your parents. I know from loosing my parents and sister that birthdays, holidays and the anniversary of their death can be tough. God bless you and give you peace.

·
98,800 Posts
Yeah, it has been that long. Early 2005. Hard to believe. Tell you what is REALLY hard - Thanksgiving and Christmas. Big days for Mom, she wanted the family there for both of them and always set the traditional table. We decided to keep the table and I have the "family silver", though when I go it will go to my niece Amy. But till then, we get it out and use it on occasion - Reed & Barton "Marlborough", one of the really classic patterns of sterling flatware, and it brings close to other times when we do.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
Thank god for our service men who put their lives on the line so that we can enjoy the life we have come to know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts