Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a really nice K11 at my LGS for $400. Only the current availability for any 7.5 Swiss ammo is making this deal, a deal breaker. Never owned a K11 or K31 but always admired them.
The one possible issue I noticed, was that the bbl seemed to be lacking discernible lands/grooves, leading me to think the bbl is shot out but not having one single round of 7.5 on hand to do a quick bullet test, it's hard for me to tell at this point.

Maybe sway me one way or the other.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well if the barrel is shot out I’d pass. Swiss guns mostly have nice sharp well defined rifling. Any .308 bullet will work if you’re trying to do a bullet end muzzle test, just remember they have a bit of a recessed crown.

If your eyes were playing tricks on you and it has a decent bore, 400 is a decent deal on a k11 these days as long as it doesn’t look like it’s been drug behind a truck down a gravel road. Ammo will come down, the price of these guns won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if the barrel is shot out I’d pass. Swiss guns mostly have nice sharp well defined rifling. Any .308 bullet will work if you’re trying to do a bullet end muzzle test, just remember they have a bit of a recessed crown.

If your eyes were playing tricks on you and it has a decent bore, 400 is a decent deal on a k11 these days as long as it doesn’t look like it’s been drug behind a truck down a gravel road. Ammo will come down, the price of these guns won’t.

Stock is in great shape and the metal has a beautiful patina. I'll try the .308 round for the test, I wasn't aware of that one. Thx

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the barrel is good that's a respectable price for a K11. As for the ammo situation, yeah the days of cheap Swiss 7.5 bricks are probably gone for good, but due to the sheer number of these sold I expect a fair number of ammo choices from various manufactures to enter the market and remain for decades. At some point I also expect the Swiss to release a wave of ammo from their vast stores and know I will hoard a ton if they do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any chance it had cosmoline in it? Had a Type 53 carbine once that looked like a smooth bore till I got home and cleaned it, best bore I had ever seen. Cosmoline wasn't plugging it and was nice and even down the whole barrel.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,488 Posts
Re "shot out bore": how did you determine this? An inspection with a bore scope is definitive, but I doubt any gun store will let you inspect one of their offerings with one.

Visual inspection is possible, but it takes some experience.

Take along a small flashlight. Better yet, use a bore light with a clear plastic light conduit. This provides diffused light so there is no reflection. Hold the light at about 45 degrees to the muzzle and and look at it at the same angle. You should be able to observe the condition of the lands.

Remove the bolt and hold the rifle up at a white surface near a light. Don't point it directly at a light source or you will get glare. You can then examine the condition of the breech lands, with enough contrast to distinguish the edges of the lands.

Also, ask if you can pull a dry patch. It is normal to coat the bore with preservative oil for rust prevention, but an oiled bore will look bright and shiny since the oil reflects light. It is easy to conceal pitting this way.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I just picked it up an hour ago. I did use a Win. 308 for the test, it didn't swallow it, still some copper meat left on it. So, $401 OTD for a pretty decent K11. Action is smooth and has a fantastic trigger on her as well.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,488 Posts
Well, I just picked it up an hour ago. I did use a Win. 308 for the test, it didn't swallow it, still some copper meat left on it. So, $401 OTD for a pretty decent K11. Action is smooth and has a fantastic trigger on her as well.
That is not a K11. Looks more like this
But the front sight on yours is different. This rifle only shoots GP90 -7.5x53.5 -so you will need to reload for it.

The rifle also has its bands positioned oddly. To me it looks like the barrel was cut back to the front sight base and the stock was also shortened. Run the serial number here to find out what it is supposed to be: swisswaffen.com: Rifle Details Modell 1905 Cavalry Carbine

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That is not a K11. Looks more like this
But the front sight on yours is different. This rifle only shoots GP90 -7.5x53.5 -so you will need to reload for it.

The rifle also has its bands positioned oddly. To me it looks like the barrel was cut back to the front sight base and the stock was also shortened. Run the serial number here to find out what it is supposed to be: swisswaffen.com: Rifle Details Modell 1905 Cavalry Carbine
109167 = Rifle Details: Modell 1889 Infantry Rifle

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what I have is a bastardized 1889 that I can't even get ammo for.

Epic fail on my part, knew I should've taken a couple of pics and posted here beforehand. Guess it'll have to be the 'ol proverbial wall hanger now. :mad:

·
Registered
990 Posts
So what I have is a bastardized 1889 that I can't even get ammo for.

Epic fail on my part, knew I should've taken a couple of pics and posted here beforehand. Guess it'll have to be the 'ol proverbial wall hanger now. :mad:
We all learn lessons collecting, sometimes the hard way. Just be glad it was only 400 bucks and you didn’t spend thousands on a faked mauser or something.

All is not lost, you could possibly part it out and dang near get your money back. Might just take a little time.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,488 Posts
FWIW, there's no import marks on this.
How was the rifle described? If described to you as a "K11" and caliber 7.5x55, you have a valid complaint. Also, the seller may be in hot water if he has listed the rifle in his books as a K11.

Remove the bolt. If the locking lugs on the bolt sleeve are toward the rear, closer to the cocking/safety ring, it is definitely a 7.5x53.5 GP90 rifle.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How was the rifle described? If described to you as a "K11" and caliber 7.5x55, you have a valid complaint. Also, the seller may be in hot water if he has listed the rifle in his books as a K11.

Remove the bolt. If the locking lugs on the bolt sleeve are toward the rear, closer to the cocking/safety ring, it is definitely a 7.5x53.5 GP90 rifle.
Yep, locking lugs toward the rear.
I'll talk to my LGS in the morning. It was listed in his book as a K11, IIRC. Much my fault for not doing some more research. Never had Swiss bolt action before. Hard lesson learned.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.