Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homeland Security to Purchase 25 Million Shotgun Roundshttp://www.infowars.com/homeland-security-to-purchase-25-million-shotgun-rounds/

Why Is the Post Office Buying Bullets?http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-21/why-is-the-post-office-buying-bullets

* Seems every other week, a new story about unbelievably huge ammo purchases by some Govt agency. As always follows, a denial of some sorts justifying the need.
Training ... cheaper in bulk ... five year supply ... Even GAO publishing numbers to say nothing out of the ordinary ... even less than previous years.

No one seems to come up with actual numbers of how many "people" in these various "agencies" (in uniform or not) carry arms, how often they receive "training",what kind of training they receive and how much ammo per "person" they expend. When talking numbers in the MILLIONS and BILLIONS of rounds, it seems far in excess of even what the MILITARY uses and we know the MILITARY is woefully short on actual "live fire" training and qualifications. If you add up all the LEO in the country and twice yearly "qualifications", it still looks far shy of these numbers.

And, if as the GAO touts ...less than in previous years, why was this never noticed or an issue in the past and why a sudden need for such huge contracts?
Why are all the ammo shortages conveniently blamed on "hoarding" by gun owners (numbers of armed citizens still increasing at incremental rates) when you are hard pressed to find a single box of your favorite caliber on the shelf at any store? As well, why can't you find a pound of powder or box of primers for over a year and a couple months now?

The overall situation demands a factual answer beyond wild rumor and speculation.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
well, less start with a disclaimer, these are only my opinions.

why the government is buying large quantities.
A. a few years ago the government sold large qualities of there obsolete ammo. (stored since WWII)
then some clown said were making money at this. so the started selling the ammo stored since Korea and Vietnam.
now they never expected that we would ever have to fight an other war.
they are now going to get us into a fight (with the Russian's) that may require more ammo than they have.
simpleton government replacing stock piles.

b at to the government agencies.
these agencies are used to control things.
it is a proven fact that when the agencies conduct a raid that it takes between 100 and 200 rounds to kill 1 person (lot of people in the country to control)
and then there is practice(so they do not go over there 200 round per person limit)
then there are also those rounds that they use on domestic animals (dogs, cats, cattle and so on).

c as to hording you can't horde what you can't find.
there more people enjoying shooting sports and demand is high.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Why are all the ammo shortages conveniently blamed on "hoarding" by gun owners (numbers of armed citizens still increasing at incremental rates) when you are hard pressed to find a single box of your favorite caliber on the shelf at any store? As well, why can't you find a pound of powder or box of primers for over a year and a couple months now?
Yep... Just think how much lead, powder and brass it takes to make 25,000,000 12 gauge shells... There will be that much less available for "a single box of your favorite caliber on the shelf at any store"

For those that believe these enormous government ammo purchases don't affect the amount of raw materials available to make ammo for U.S. Citizens: I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
To answer db2044, I believe that some in the Federal Congress are correct in their statement that they do not want paperwork bureaucracies and the
paper pushers in those alphabet agencies to have SWAT teams! Even the Library of Congress has a SWAT Team!

And, to answer david cunningham, what you say could be very true, but, I see another option, inclusive of yours, that the Executive Branch can issue an order that all Executive and oter government agencies make mass purchases to restrict ammo manufacturing and limit our purchases through supply and demand!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Those are all multi-year contracts and the buy numbers reflect that. they aren't just one big pile of ammo. Once a contract is in place the agencies can just order ammo like you and me. If they don't already have a contract its a real horror show getting anything because you then have to go through the horrible competitive acquisition system. I tried it once for the USN - a PC buy. Luckily someone in the USAF had the resources to push a near identical one through first and we bought off that one instead.
It would probably have taken over a year to get anything.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
You can bet your butt homeland security is not planning on using all that 12 game ammo at the southern borders.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Postal inspection has about 500 officers.

When you think Homeland Security you're thinking of an agency. That's false. Homeland security comprises of 187 agencies.
- FEMA
- US coast guard
- Customs & Border Patrol
- Immigration
- Secret Service
- TBA

So do you think Secret Service does much practice? How about the Coast Guard or Border Patrol?

And like jj said, it's a multi year contract. And it's designed to lock in the price even 5 years from now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just my 2 cents!

JJK is absolutely correct.
Now factor in that US ammo manufactures have been supplying our military as well as others and the high demand for ammo starting in 2008 and only getting higher.
Just like gasoline refineries; at what point is it cost effective to build new facilities not knowing when and if the demand will fall off and if it did how much would it fall off.
It is simple supply and demand and economics of expanding vs trying to maintain current production levels.
Also if there is a swing in the political arena everything could change over night.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Those are all multi-year contracts and the buy numbers reflect that. they aren't just one big pile of ammo.
You can go to the federal "gov't" website and read the entire solicitation...

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...3b4030a8a84e4e47880f5e2ee07&tab=core&_cview=1

Be sure to download the "Solicitation.pdf" and read all 39 pages of the fine print...

52.216-22 (b) states in part:

The Contractor shall furnish to the Government, when and if ordered, the supplies or services specified in the Schedule up to and including the quantity designated in the Schedule as the "maximum" (I added the underlining)

As you can see, the "gov't" can "call in" the contract over a maximum of 5 years, or virtually immediately if they so choose...

Those familiar with manufacturing will know that it will be necessary for the Contractor to "dedicate" a portion of manufacturing capability, keeping it "tooled and ready", just in case the gov't decides to "call in" a large quantity of the contract... Also, materials such as brass, lead, and powder must be kept available to fill such orders...

Any way you "cut it", these large gov't ammo purchases reduce the availability of ammo for the U.S. gun owner...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I'm not comfortable with all those liberal democrat agencies getting all that firepower, I mean, some of them need guns but refuse to use them at all, like the border patrol, so they all need the minimum or none at all.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
So you want the border patrol to just shoot people?

See, I will defer to your ideas on this, that these days they don't need any guns or ammunition of any significant amount ordered up since it would be shocking to use force to enforce border security, too shocking you are saying, so that bolsters my point, there is no shooting going on at the border, so I wonder what they indeed would need ammo or loads of guns for in the first place. And the answer is none at all, like they can buy their own shotgun and pistol and.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It's not the shock factor but is it a crime punishable by death? It is against the law but so is stealing, speeding, and we have yet to kill one of those. Shit in Pa you're allowed to shoot on sight if you see 3 or more Indians together because it = a raiding party. So should I shoot some?

Ok so they buy their own ammo and weapons? Wow.

Do you practice? How much ammo do YOU need? How much do you have? Have you had to shoot anyone or are you planning on? If not then you probably don't need all that much.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Harry Reid has the gubberment stocking up for all us domestic terrorists. More likely they'll use the ammo on Americans than border breakers.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,948 Posts
Target ....any one that falls out of favor of that agency's policies disrupting it's intended purposes
criminal acts, terrorist here or from there! ...out sourcing ammo, to other agencies..departments....

Only the criminals have to worry..... Rogue govt. or citizens
which ever comes first .
"the chickens or the roosters, donkey's or the elephants running over the sheep hunting for survival or survivors!"

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,279 Posts
It's not the shock factor but is it a crime punishable by death? It is against the law but so is stealing, speeding, and we have yet to kill one of those. Shit in Pa you're allowed to shoot on sight if you see 3 or more Indians together because it = a raiding party. So should I shoot some?
We should adopt the rules/methods used by the southern countries.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts