Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a Sabre de Cavalerie Légère Française Modèle 1822 (Saber of French Light Cavalry Model 1822) that was made by Manufacture d'Armes de Châtellerault and marked 'Henry Entrepreneur' with no date on it. From my research these sabers were commercially 'contracted' / funded by Francois Louis Henry de Châtellerault which made both swords and bayonets from the period of 1875 to about 1914 under the direction of MAC. The scabbard on this one was re-designed in 1887 with the one-ring so that it could only be used to fix the sword on the left side of the saddle instead on the trooper himself. It also came with a troopers type lanyard (dragonne) like the one in the picture I have posted.
My question is the following: Did the Cavalerie Lourde Française (French Heavy Cavalry) use this same model saber ? ... it seems like they did from what I have been seeing as some references refer this model to both light and heavy cavalry troopers.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The model 1922 was adopted by both the light and heavy cavalry, the lightly curved blade was identical for both services, the light cavalry hilt had three bars, the heavy cavalry had four bars.

Nobody liked it at first and it was nicknamed "bancal" (wonky) by the troop, not being straight enough for the heavy cavalry, and not curved enough for the light cavalry.

It is still being used by the Republican guards.

kelt

·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Gold Bullet Member
650 Posts
Interesting. I did not know there were Henry Entrepreneur swords too.

Any signs of French use? I ask, because the bayonets marked like that have different inspection marks and weird serials compared to normal Gras. No one seems to know who they were for.

Attachments

·
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the French military term the word 'Entrepreneur' means someone who worked closely financially with a firm as a contractor. As I understand this is he donated a lot of Francs to the operations and thus got his name put on the blades as a contributor. The guard on my sword has a '120' stamped on it, which I understand is a like a rack number as it is in a different font from the MAC font used on it.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.