Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would check in with this one.

Just picked this M96 shooting prize up from a show. This one had a hang tag that says the rifle belonged to Nils Karlsson, who was a Olympic gold medal winner. It was just imported a few days ago.
I am not positive of anything but it seems like a very fine piece of history especially if he won the rifle.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
Great find !!!!!!!!!!! Someone went to a lot of trouble to print up that card . Probably not more than a few were made . I hate to see a family heirloom leaving the family , but I think it has a good home now !

·
9,201 Posts
You better pick up some Power Ball tickets with a streak of luck like that . Did that come up under a search for his name ? I would never have thought to look for something like that !

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Awesome post!

·
Gold Bullet member
285 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to your collection JK. It almost hurts to write this but I held that rifle in my hands for 15 minutes debating whether to bring it home with me. :)
Oh well, sometimes the needs of the family outweigh those of my hobby.......

You forgot to mention that the rifle had all matching numbers (including the cleaning rod) and came with a nice Swede muzzle cover and target sling. Again, congrats!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bdome, Sorry you had to pass this one but I will give it a good home.

Thanks for the "congrats" guys.
I have owned and still do own some very impressive Swedes, but the link of this one to a Olympic gold medal winner sure makes it the high point of my collection.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It seems that Nils Karlsson owned this rifle at a time of his life according to that tag. In Sweden nobody recognise the name Nils Karlsson but if you mention Mora-Nisse or Mora-Nisse Karlsson thats another story. Did he won a Olympic goldmedal? Probably, no Swede 50+ remember that but.......that Mora-Nisse won the "Vasaloppet" 9 out of 10 times is great history. To travel 90 kilometers from Sälen to Mora cross-country skiing, that counts!!! His record will never, ever be broken!!
But Mora-Nisse never left Mora inn Dalarna, besides military service in Falun 1938, and never got into FSR-shooting. He was from young age a skilled skier. Summertime up to age 22 also football-player. After active period as skier he was running a store for outdoor and sport-equipment in Mora. Did he just own the rifle or did he actually won it? Is their anything that can prove he was the winner of this rifle?? Isnt that essential? Let me get back on that subject.....;).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Arilar,

I was hoping to see a post from you.

You notice in my first post "I am not positive of anything but it seems like a very fine piece of history especially if he won the rifle."
Well then maybe you can help me out? I think the disk reads National Association for the Swedish defense 6th division Norrbotten 1940 . But now if knew who won M96 rifles at that shooting event or why Mora-Nisse would have someones else s rifle I would have something.

By the way, about how many rifles did they give away at those shooting matches? Just one, or did they have different categories and give more than one away?

Many Thanks, John

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The amount of rifles differed a lot over time and how big the match was. Plenty on some occasions and none or few on other. I do have more info on your particular rifle that very much surprised me! Will have time before weekend to post it here. Stay tuned. ;)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Mystery solved!

I have checked if Mora-Nisse was a member of FSR. If so he would have been listed in the 1943 edition on FSR-members in Dalarna. He was not. Norbotten is far away from Dalarna. No reason that the volunteer defence organization in Norbotten would present this rifle as a prize for a not well-known shooter far away from Norbotten. Annoying! When searching for Mora-Nisse nothing found to support that he favoured target-shooting although Mora-Nisse was a hunter. But.........

To my big surprise did I just couple of days ago receive documents proving that Mora-Nisse actually won this special rifle in a military teamcompetition skiing and shooting! Mora-Nisse was one of many that was picked to do military emergency service during WW2. December 1939 Mora-Nisse served at I13 in Falun. He and his comrades were placed 4 month in duty way up north in a small place called Kälsjärv. Mora-Nisse could train skiing and sometimes field-shooting at the same time with a carbine m/94. He was picked to join I13s team for the military match "Fördelningsmästerskapet" held at Björkfors 30th of March 1940. He became the indivual winner and I13 got the team-victory.
The competition was to ski 25 kilometers on old military skies (had to be 80 mm wide and 7½ feet long (military modell 1929). Rucksack not under 8 kg heavy and during the ski-run shoot and hit a baloon with your rifle (or carbine. Dont know what weapon). Mora-Nisse broke one of his skies 5 km before finnish but could continue and also hit the baloon in first try.
"Riksförbundet för Sveriges Försvar" awarded the regiment I13 the rifle to be handed over "to a Soldier showing good shooting ability, comradeship and all other attributes that distinguish a Swedish young man of the best kind". Mora-Nisse was chosen to be that soldier and was awarded this rifle.
So enjoy the rifle connected with a great person that with efforts earned it!!!
Regards,
ARILAR:)

·
9,201 Posts
A story like that can only add value to the rifle for a collector . A great prize in your collection , JK !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
WOW That is some awsome history. That is priceless to go along with a one of a kind rifle. Congradulations

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arilar,

Thank you very much for the history of this fine rifle, it is very much appreciated. The rifle will have a special place in my collection.
I think I will be on the "lookout" for some model 1929 skis to go with it.

Best, John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now this was an awesome story, and I'm a bit sad that such an iconic rifle is now far away from Sweden. On the other hand, it will be in good hands, and in the possession of someone who knows to take care of it!

On the topic of swedish army skis, the particular model that "mora-Nisse" was using (as far as I have been able to determine) was known among conscripts as "Vita blixten" or "White lightning", and was in use into the 90s when I did my military service. When just using the skies for physical excersice we had "better" skies more suitable for the prepared ski-tracks, but for real conditions in the field, Vita Blixten was superior as they were wider and possible to use with the winter boots of the Swedish army. Just something to keep in mind if you want to pick up a pair!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You should not be sad, instead happy! If stayed in Sweden high risk on beeing melted down.....Thanks to the big interest in FSR and military Swedish mausers today abroad they are preserved.
No, "vita blixten" around 20 years younger than this occasion. I am nearly embarrassed to admit that I have a collection on Swedish military skies and skiboots......maybe if I can gather strenght a new thread can arise....;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are quite right Arilar, the lack of respect for these old rifles in Sweden is quite bad, but for this particular rifle I'd kind of like to quote Dr. Jones: "It belongs in a museum!" :)

Apologies for being wrong about "Vita blixten", I was sure it was older than that! I for one would be interested to read about Swedish military skis!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.