Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
"assault musket"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I didn't know if I should put this in the shotgun forum or this one, let me know if it should be moved)
I have a late '20s early '30s Winchester 1897, Riot model. And I'm having an issue that I've seen on other 1897s that I don't know how to fix.
The Issue: Once the hammer is cocked back, when you try to lower it manually, (As in pulling the trigger while keeping your thumb on the hammer so as to lower it slowly) It likes to catch, hook or get stuck as you try to lower it, often slipping from your thumb and then flying down, Which would be really bad if you're loaded and trying to de-cock. It doesn't do it while firing, or any other time the hammer is moving, but when trying to lower it manually this happens. I have a old 16 gauge '97 that has the same problem, is this a common issue? Is there something that needs tuning every 50 years? A part that needs replacing? I believe the gun has never been taken apart. If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be very grateful!

·
Registered
"assault musket"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not half cock, that works fine when cocking the hammer back, it locks into that spot. I have another fully restored/rebuilt 1897 that does not have the issue, de-cocking is smooth without any caching or getting stuck. I suppose the best thing would be to have a professional actually see it in person. I'm sure once you actually try it yourself, you'd know somethings not right.

·
Registered
"assault musket"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've kept the trigger right back, sometimes, the hammer won't come up at all, so then I'll try letting of the pressure a little with my thumb, and it will slip. That'd be pretty dangerous if you're de-cocking on a hot chamber, right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts