Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an old photo of my grandfather in the army. I believe it's somewhere in occupied Japan in '45 or '46. I don't know much about when he was there other than he was a railroad guy.

I know this is a long shot as there's not much of a clue in the photo other than a big stone fountain of some sort, but any idea as to where this may have been taken? I don't know if this is a famous landmark perhaps, or just one of a thousand similar fountains.

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's on the left. All I know is it had something to do with the railroads in Japan.

Come to think of it I think I have a leather Japanese ammo pouch that was his, that has his info stamped into it. I'll find it when I get home from work today.

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that I put this in the wrong sub forum, should have gone in the "Military Photo Album". Sorry about that. If a moderator wants to move it, that would be cool. Otherwise I guess it's fine.

Anyhow, I found it. It's a heavy leather Japanese pouch of some kind, with his name stamped in the top, along with "3RD MRS 1945 YOKAHAMA JAPAN".

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I just realized that I put this in the wrong sub forum, should have gone in the "Military Photo Album". Sorry about that. If a moderator wants to move it, that would be cool. Otherwise I guess it's fine.

Anyhow, I found it. It's a heavy leather Japanese pouch of some kind, with his name stamped in the top, along with "3RD MRS 1945 YOKAHAMA JAPAN".
Did a very quick search and found this: http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nancygcunningham/kaufman/3rd TMRS (2).pdf

Nothing about the picture but about the 3rd MRS in general.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Looks like 6th Army patch on the soldier at far right but that patch is vague looking
That's what it is. My dad wore that patch in the early 60s.

The link TheGreenMan posted suggests that your granddad's unit was assigned to 8th Army, though. Confusing. Could be your grandfather was visiting the guy on the right, a buddy from training or home.

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I read that link, pretty interesting. It seemed familiar so I think I may have read it before. Now that I think about it I might have even posted this photo before. I did a little research after he passed away about 9 years ago.

I wish I had talked to him more about his experiences there. He never said much about it until about his last year or so, when he started telling me some stories. He said he was on a ship headed for Japan when the bombs were dropped and Japan surrendered, so he was among the very first occupation forces in Japan. He had some stories that were interesting.

While looking at the photo I had an idea. After he passed away and my mom cleaned out his house, one of the things she left here at my place was an old bedraggled coat. She kept it because she said long ago he was pretty proud of it. Suppose it could be the same one in the photo? It looks like the same type to me. I always thought it looked too small for him, but seeing the photo he was much thinner back then.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks guys. I read that link, pretty interesting. It seemed familiar so I think I may have read it before. Now that I think about it I might have even posted this photo before. I did a little research after he passed away about 9 years ago.

I wish I had talked to him more about his experiences there. He never said much about it until about his last year or so, when he started telling me some stories. He said he was on a ship headed for Japan when the bombs were dropped and Japan surrendered, so he was among the very first occupation forces in Japan. He had some stories that were interesting.

While looking at the photo I had an idea. After he passed away and my mom cleaned out his house, one of the things she left here at my place was an old bedraggled coat. She kept it because she said long ago he was pretty proud of it. Suppose it could be the same one in the photo? It looks like the same type to me. I always thought it looked too small for him, but seeing the photo he was much thinner back then.

View attachment 2380449

Looks like an "Ike" jacket. Eisenhower had it designed, based loosely on a short-waisted British jacket. I remember watching his funeral as a youngster, he was buried in his namesake jacket.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,657 Posts
Looks like an "Ike" jacket. Eisenhower had it designed, based loosely on a short-waisted British jacket. I remember watching his funeral as a youngster, he was buried in his namesake jacket.
Yes, an "Ike" jacket. Actually, post-war, adopted as the standard Class "A" winter uniform jacket - we were issued those in JrROTC in the late '50s (Army was in the process of taking them out of issue and replacing with AG-44, and by mid-60s AG-344 light-weight, service dress Class A)

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's a post war jacket? Couldn't have been the one in the photo then I guess. Doesn't matter, I was just curious. In all likelihood he could have bought it at a garage sale decades later because it reminded him of the one he used to have.

He would do things like that. He had a Japanese sword that he was pretty proud of. I always thought he brought it home from Japan. My sister has it now. I asked my mom about it and she said it was a replacement he picked up somewhere years later. He brought a nice set of two swords home from Japan, but they were stolen right out of their house in the middle of the day sometime in the '50s. They were home at the time and walked into the front room to find the glass case they were kept in open, swords gone, and the front door open. Someone just walked in and took them. They always figured it had to have been someone they knew.

He told me that when he first arrived in Japan there were no women anywhere. They were all hiding in the hills because they had been told that American GIs were monsters who would rape and eat them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No no. The Ike jacket WAS a WWII item. I think what Clyde is saying is that it became the Class A after the war for the whole army, rather than being a separate type of uniform for overseas use.

That could easily be your granddad's WWII jacket.

Pity about the swords.

·
100,657 Posts
No no. The Ike jacket WAS a WWII item. I think what Clyde is saying is that it became the Class A after the war for the whole army, rather than being a separate type of uniform for overseas use.

That could easily be your granddad's WWII jacket.

Pity about the swords.
Yes, to my understanding not general issue for Class A world-wide (especially state-side) until after WWII, but were issued to troops overseas (especially Europe where it was cold) during the war. Fairly heavy, high quality tightly woven wool (I think maybe wool gabardine), and worn for Class A with OD wool trousers of same cloth during winter uniform periods. Apparently worn in combat from some photos I have seen, with field jackets and field pants over them when cold enough.

When I was taking HS JrROTC (1959-1961), the "Old" OD wool uniforms were in wear-out period for active Army, and were issue for us cadets (when I got to A&M, uniform was pinks & greens for winter, cotton khaki for summer).

·
100,657 Posts
FWIW the "ike" jacket was a staple feature at many surplus stores in the late 60's. As teenagers we liked the design and we all wore them for a while. I still think they have a great design.
Except for the color (the old OD wool was never to my taste), weight, and requirement for dry cleaning, not bad at all. And yes - millions were surplused out by Uncle when the ODs were replaced by the Greens (which have now been superseded by Blues for Service Dress - Class A) and showed up in Army Surplus stores. We had as an optional (private purchase rather than school issue) outer garment for Seniors on Class A Winter days Shade 51 Ike Jackets. With boot britches and boots, looked real sharp (think Patton scene with the speech to the troops at the beginning of the movie).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.