Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had problems getting this inserted and will try again. This knife is 17 1/2" overall with a 12 1/2" blade and is 1 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick. It has a large fuller on one side. Cannot find and maker or and identification at all. Went over it with a magnifying glass. It came from a estate of a Civil War collector. The handle is some type of horn. I will appreciate any and all info you can give on it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hard to say with no marking but IMHO it does not strike me as Civil War era knife because of the bayonet blade shape and the fuller. From my understanding, Confederate soldiers were more likely to sport fighting knives and I am not aware of any regulation issue Union fighting knife. Confederate knives I have seen appear to be more crudely made and something like a fuller seems out of place to me. Most examples of Confederate fighting knives I am aware of are bowie style or clip points. I don't recall seeing any examples of bayonet style Confederate dagger/fighting knife in any literature or museums. That being said it could be from the period but perhaps in the style of a european hunting dagger. I have seen examples of German hunting knives that this looks more similar to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.