Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The above has left hand threads and screws into the base of the shell.

The above had an old note rolled up in the shell head. It appears to have been in their for a long time. This is what the note says:

“This shell was taken from the Spanish war ship “Colon” which was sunk off the cost of Cuba by the U.S. War Ships one year after she was sunk. And given to me by a Mr. Boas. Then chief clerk at the U.S. General Hospital at Santiago de Cuba. The same was loaded when given to me but I have since that date had it unloaded."

Jan. 1st 1900.

John F. Burleson
Medical Supply Depot
Santiago de Cuba”

Shell diameter is about 1 and 7/16ths. Shell head length is 3.3/4 inches
Shell case is about 3 and 3/4 inches tall and 1.3/4 wide at the base.

The overall length of the shell and case 6 ½ inches.

The shell is held in the case by three punch marks.

MARKINGS:

The shell base is marked with the intertwined letters “BOC” over “2/97"
The shell base also has the letters “MT” stamped opposite the BOC 2/97 marking.

The brass shell base-plug has left hand threads. The base plug is marked “HOTCHKISS PATENT” in an arc over a roman numeral II over the intertwined letters: BOC.

QUESTIONS: Is the above a 37mm Hotchkiss shell? If so, would it have been made for the Hotchkiss revolving gun or some other form of cannon?

Best regards,

Greg

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Can't help you with your questions, but will thank you for posting this. Neat item!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be a good item for the show "History Detectives" on PBS.
That's a fun show.

BTW: I found some additional information for our, GUNBOARDS HISTORY DETECTIVES:

It turns out that John F. Burleson (the author of the note) was a Doctor from Grand Rapids, Michigan. His brother started a small hospital in Grand Rapids in 1899. At some point John F. Burleson joined his brother and they had a long medical practice there.

Best regards,
Greg

·
Registered
58 Posts

QUESTIONS: Is the above a 37mm Hotchkiss shell? If so, would it have been made for the Hotchkiss revolving gun or some other form of cannon? [/QUOTE]

Yes, it's the standard 37x94R Hotchkiss round, first introduced in the Hotchkiss revolving cannon in 1885 and subsequently used in various others.

The most obvious alternative would be the 1 pounder Maxim "Pom Pom", but the Spanish Naval Commission acquired just one example in 1895-6, so it's not likely to come from that.

A fascinating item, well worth having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts