Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
Man, that really is something!! Well done. There will be some guys come along and complain about the stock finish. Ignore them. Regardless, that is special.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Man, that really is something!! Well done. There will be some guys come along and complain about the stock finish. Ignore them. Regardless, that is special.
Hey man, maybe it’s Pomo Lacquer...

Nice rifle, looks like a one piece stock too. Sling looks Romanian if you were wondering.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I was a little worried about the stock finish at first, but after looking at it closely I'm not as worried. It looks very old and well done. I've seen a few other Finnish refinished rifle that look similar. Either way, it wasnt done recently and it's not a rifle you run across every day.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You should probably just stick to collecting Japanese rifles, send the M91's my way haha.

Nice one sir, have you checked under the buttplate for any numbers? Sometimes theyre stamped with the date

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should probably just stick to collecting Japanese rifles, send the M91's my way haha
What fun would that be...cant make it too easy for you. I have another m91 already on the way. just dont tell my wife!

Nice one sir, have you checked under the buttplate for any numbers? Sometimes theyre stamped with the date
I did check under the buttplate. There were some numbers and letters, but I could only make out about half of them. Didnt look like a date.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know if that stock has been messed with. That was a training rifle. I don't know how it ended up in Finland. With Finland being a Grand Dutchy of Russia, I would think their military leaders would have been familiar with the rifles, and they would have recognized that as a training rifle. Perhaps it didn't see much use; therefore, the original stock finish didn't see the type of abuse other stocks saw. Regardless, I really don't think that stock has been messed with. If it has been, it has been minimal (at least it looks that way from the photos). I do see some stock gouges with soft edges (evidence of sanding), which could have been done while in Finland, or while here. Any work, if any, was done a long time ago.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I go back and for now. I'll look at it and think it's too shiny. But if you look closely at all the little metal part, there is no lacquer on any of them whatsoever. The escutcheons dont appear to have removed. So if someone did refinish it, they did so very carefully. Pretty dirty under the buttplate also. So I have no idea. I have a handguard on another rifle that looks about the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.